Gold plate finishing?

Discussion in 'Finishing Techniques' started by gibell, Jun 4, 2010.

1. gibell
    gibell Well-Known Member
    I've ordered a bunch of stuff with the gold plate finish, but they have not arrived yet. A friend received a bunch, and reported that the finish was "dull". Any tips on polishing up gold-plated items? One would have to be careful to avoid wearing through the coating, I would think.

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I ordered mine the first day it was announced, and just received it yesterday. So it takes some time. I didn't find mine to be dull https://www.shapeways.com/model/118907/gold_heart_ring.html
    I'll ask my Aunt tomorrow about polishing. She's a Jeweler. So I should have something for you Monday.

3. 20201_deleted
    20201_deleted Member
    All polishing for plated parts needs to be done before the plating procedure. The final shine will only be as good as the pre-plated surface condition and you will most certainly remove the gold if you use any abrasive materials coarser than a jewelers "rouge cloth."

-G

4. euphy
    euphy Member
    The finish is no different than the stainless steel finish for the most part. The bit that gets cut off and polished where the brass sprue has gone in is a little duller than the stainless steel version, but overall it's not much different. And even though I say it's "duller", its not dull, just has a slightly different "satin" kind of quality to it.

sn