Is this pricing correct? What did I do wrong?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 140840_deleted, Mar 26, 2015.

1. I created a simple 4"x4"x.75" block with a rounded face (a wheel chock for a model airplane) and the total is $81 to print in white plastic. Is this correct? Did I do something wrong here or is this the correct pricing? This is my 1st time uploading so Im a bit confused on this large price.

The file is uploaded below.

thanks,
    Matt

Attached Files:

2. kaadesign
    kaadesign Well-Known Member
    Hello,

at 3D printing, this is a "massive block". --> lot of material --> expencive.

If it is allowed to make this part not massive,- You should make it hollowed...
    e.g. wallthickness 2-3mm.
    This way, You will safe a lot of money.

3. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    That sounds about right. The thing is, with 3d printing, you're not paying just for the plastic... you're paying for a LOT of electricity for the laser to weld the tiny granules together to make it solid.

With th shape you have, it would likely be cheaper if you found some CNC machining service.

4. Thanks guys! I hollowed it out and the price dropped considerably down to $30, but unfortunately thats just too much as I need 4 of them...
    There's a company that sells these blocks made of aluminum at $29 for two. I was hoping to save some money but that wont be the case Im afraid.

5. Bathsheba
    Bathsheba Well-Known Member
    This is the typicalest 3D printing story in the world. In 18 years of emails about 3D printing, I think I've answered "Yes! 3DP is the perfect solution for this project" twice at most.

I'm married to it because of the nature of my designs, but if there's another way to do a project, you should use the other way. It'll be better and cheaper. And be the material you want it to be. And be cheaper. And better.

6. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    I shelled it out for you, see attached STL. I forgot to use inch units so if you use this select mm when uploading to Shapeways. I gave it 4mm walls so it should still be super strong. Here's the price difference.
    Price change.png

Attached Files:

7. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    Oh ok, I see you already figured out what to do while I was shelling it. Yeah, unless you have you're own printers 3D printing is too damn expensive for most applications. It's convenient though. Very convenient. :)

8. You are not talking about simple printing? You are talking about 3d printing. It is very expencive and useful. You are not paying only for printing, in fact you are paying for many electric materials and other useful materials. So that it will definitely cost you high.