A couple of new lampshades.

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by 228346_deleted, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Hey
    I made some new designs, thought Id show them off. Firstly theres 'Polygon' and second is, 'Velvet'. Hope you like.

http://shpws.me/GPoh
    (Oddly looks like a render)
    Polygon1.jpg
    Polygon2.jpg

http://shpws.me/GPjU
    (reminds me of plasma or lava)
    Velvet1.jpg
    Velvet2.jpg

2. Ontogenie
    Ontogenie Well-Known Member
    Good job...I like 'Velvet' a lot. Are these sized to fit a standard IKEA floor lamp/table lamp, or how do they actually work?

3. Hi Ontogenie
    Glad you like them. Yes the shade is modeled for an IKEA lamp. However they are most likely suitable for other brands too, as they are all made in two parts (Lampshade + mounting ring). To keep the price down the mounting ring is purchased separately (http://shpws.me/Eb09) .

The shade has a 55mm hole at the base.The mounting ring is a split ring (image below) that has a 28mm hole, which can easily slide over the bulb socket and rest on the collar. The ring then attaches to the lamp via two tabs that once aligned can rotate into the locked position.
    I plan to post a video of the assembly as soon as I can.

625x465_3089507_8560159_1422796254.jpg

Apologies if my explanation doesn't make sense.....here's an image just in case.

Capture.PNG
    BTW i had a quick look at your shop, really like the designs! oh and currently Googling Professor Ernst Haeckel's drawings....Superb!

Thanks again for the compliment.

4. Fantastic, Pier! I really like how Polygon looks surreal when lit up.

Is there a particular lamp that you use from IKEA? If so, could you link to it please?

Edit: Do you have trouble with heat inside the lamp if left on for a long time?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  5. Ontogenie
    Ontogenie Well-Known Member
    Thanks for the explanation! Have you thought about maybe making a quick video to explain the assembly? You could use it to show off the lamps, post it on Youtube...boost your SEO, etc. ;)

The 'Velvet' lamp reminds me a lot of this drawing of the Maendrina coral by Haeckel:
    Maeandrina filograna2.jpg

6. seriaforma
    seriaforma Well-Known Member
    Very nice!
    Love the velvet.

7. @Ontogenie , no worries, glad it made sense :) I have indeed but for the most part I enjoy the designing the prints over the marketing so i generally end up putting these things on the back burner. Hoping to start working on it this weekend. Wish me luck ;) Wow the Maendrina coral is stunning, definitely see the resemblance.

@denali3ddesign , thank you! I believe it was 'HEMMA' as it was the most basic i could find. Didnt want to detract from the shades with a over-the-top stand.

Its a very good question! The bulbs I use are LED E14's (which i forgot to mention in my other lamp descriptions, in my shop) that shouldn't get hotter than 100C (212F).
    -The Vicat Softening Temp (B/50) for Nylon12 (WSF) is 163C (325.4F).
    -The melting point of Nylon12 is 172-180C ( 341.6-356F).
    So this means that the bulbs don't get hot enough to start softening the material . That said.....'Velvet' is the only one fully enclosed so it might be worth running a few tests over a long period to see if there is any detrimental affects. Will post once I've had a chance to look into this.

@seriaforma , hello again:) Thank you for your kind words.

Btw does anyone think the images are a touch blurry? I cant tell. Photography is not my strong point.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  8. Thank you, Pier!

Side note, IKEA has a great selection of LED bulbs. A couple years ago I was looking for a nice, small LED and couldn't find any.

9. No worries Denali. I decided to go with a Philips golf ball bulb. As the drivers and heatsinks are probably a little better than most. Off Amazon if you were interested :)