Whiskey Glass

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by danpass, Mar 17, 2015.

1. danpass
    danpass Member
    What materials would be drink safe as-is?

What cheaper materials could be MADE drink safe and how?

2. draw
    draw Well-Known Member
    You probably need to wait until the ceramic process reappears for food safe materials. Nothing else it truly food safe.

You could possibly make a sleeve that fits over a shot glass and gets glued in place. But even then the material could harbor bacteria or leach something nasty if a solvent like alcohol comes in contact with it.

As far as making materials safe you would need some kind of food safe epoxy or other coating but it's probably a big hassle.

3. MadAsU
    MadAsU Well-Known Member
    I would like to see a food safe silicon product or ideally a food safe plastic (with the associated relatively low price of plastic)

4. Ceramic materials are only very safe for food. You should only make Whiskey Glasses with it.

5. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    We did have a member recently make a shot glass out of silver. The process is not certified food safe, but the material itself is considered food safe.

6. Bathsheba
    Bathsheba Well-Known Member
    It'd be nice. Material development proceeds very slowly.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  7. numarul7
    numarul7 Well-Known Member
    I made a silver shot glass. SilverMoonshot in my profile.

Next material is porcelain , plastics are "toxic" , second option it is to make a injection molding cast from a 3D print then use a food safe plastics to make the stuff.

So that is the limit right now.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015