Home » Support » 3D Design » Overlapping Geometry Printable?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Overlapping Geometry Printable? [message #13195] Wed, 26 May 2010 22:32 UTC Go to next message
avatar JustinM  is currently offline JustinM
Go to my shop
Simple question, just having a hard time finding the answer.

For example, if I have two spheres overlapping and I get it printed, does Shapeways simply print them merged? The spheres are water tight, they just intersect.

Thanks.
index.php?t=getfile&id=3673&private=0

• Attachment: intersect.jpg
    (Size: 6.49KB, Downloaded 503 time(s))

[Updated on: Wed, 26 May 2010 22:33 UTC]

Re: Overlapping Geometry Printable? [message #13197 is a reply to message #13195 ] Thu, 27 May 2010 00:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stannum  is currently offline stannum
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Yes, but the price is like if they were non overlapping. So try to reduce overlap to the minimum to make sure the item is a single part once printed; for example deforming the invisible zone of one, like if a very strong sphere had crashed into a softer one and just merged a bit.
Re: Overlapping Geometry Printable? [message #13200 is a reply to message #13197 ] Thu, 27 May 2010 06:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar joris  is currently offline joris
Go to all my models
I would always recommend that you merge/unify etc. the two parts to make them into a single volume. The intersecting of two parts could give you internal non-manifold problems. Unify-ing them would avoid this.
Re: Overlapping Geometry Printable? [message #13427 is a reply to message #13200 ] Mon, 07 June 2010 06:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar RaveMandela  is currently offline RaveMandela
Go to all my models
Would that be merge/unify using a boolean function or is another method advised?
The problem could be that the result is not watertight is my experience.

[Updated on: Mon, 07 June 2010 06:45 UTC]

Re: Overlapping Geometry Printable? [message #13428 is a reply to message #13195 ] Mon, 07 June 2010 07:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar GHP  is currently offline GHP
Go to my shop
Overlapping volumes should work fine (apart from a higher price) as long as they have no vertices in the same locations or very close to each other. Shapeways doesn't allow multiple vertices in the same location and will merge very close vertices, which can result in a non-manifold mesh. I'm not sure exactly how close vertices have to be to be merged, but it seems that they look for an absolute difference (something less than 0.001, I think), so models that are scaled in metres are more likely to have problems.

[Updated on: Mon, 07 June 2010 07:48 UTC]

Re: Overlapping Geometry Printable? [message #13558 is a reply to message #13428 ] Thu, 10 June 2010 20:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
"Models that are scaled in metres are more likely to have problems."

This could very well be my problem. So....How can I have a model not scaled in metres? With all software I use the world units are read as metres by Shapeways.
Re: Overlapping Geometry Printable? [message #13559 is a reply to message #13558 ] Thu, 10 June 2010 20:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Some software is good at hiding the unit setup Wink

Otherwise, the STL upload at shapeways has a unit selection.
Because STL is dimensionless, it does not matter what unit your software uses as long as it saves its own units unscaled.
(so 1 meter in your software would be 1 unit of whatever you choose it to be at upload, mm inch, meter)

If you can't export to STL, you can use (freeware) Meshllb to convert.

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: Overlapping Geometry Printable? [message #13560 is a reply to message #13559 ] Thu, 10 June 2010 20:55 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
STL is not option for me because I would like to have my models printed in full color and this is not supported in STL format.

About the first comment "Some software is good at hiding the unit setup" What software would that be and how does it work?

Previous Topic:hollow weirdness
Next Topic:Calculation is off?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.