Search Engine Opaque & Unusable???

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by 486754_deleted, Mar 11, 2015.

1. When I search for: iPhone 6 case, I get thousands of hits, most irrelevant. When I search for: "iPhone 6 case", I also get thousands of hits, most irrelevant (cuff links, wearable plants, ect.) So adding quotes doesn't limit to products with those three words, let alone in that order. Result: I can't find anything remotely specific to my needs in an efficient way, so I can't buy from Shapeways. Why can't there be a usable search engine? (NOTE: If I sort results for either: iPhone 6 case, or "iPhone 6 case" by Relevance, I do get iPhone 6 cases more or less first, but there is no way to sort the cases (what I want, in this example) by Price or Popular without getting hundreds of cuff links, drink caddies, etc. first.

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    1) Search is on the fixing table right now. Not sure when it'll be updated, but I know it's up at the top of the chart.

2) You can sort searches (see attached image)

Moving this post to suggestions.
    sort.png

3. Right, and if I sort by Price:Low to High instead of Relevance, I get a sort of all 44,000-odd hits for "iPhone 6 case" which contains hundred of pages of cuff links, flower pots, etc. before I get to anything resembling an iPhone 6 case -- as (not to be snarky) I pointed out in my first message. Hope the Search Engine gets off the operating table soon. I recommend a total brain transplant. Thanks for your prompt reply.

4. panguver
    panguver Well-Known Member
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  5. lukie80
    lukie80 Member
    I know it is difficult to implement a good search engine. Well, I'll just drop in some wishes:

1)
    AND vs OR
    First: results containing ALL search terms
    Then: results containing SOME of the search terms

2)
    Priorities: Search terms are in:
    1. Title
    2. Tags
    3. Description

3)
    Weighting / Ranking:
    Reputation of designer - i.e. by amount of sold parts / successful prints / activity

6. spamitnow
    spamitnow Member
    First, I like what Shapeways offers. I started as a customer buying an item from a vendor. Then I successfully uploaded and had my own model printed. And now I've made it available to others. Pretty damn cool, and I think it's an exciting market!

That said, I'm glad to see the search engine is getting work because it is so hard to use for me that Shapeways becomes a last resort - only using it if I can't find things on ebay, amazon, etsy, and a myriad of miniature sites.

To elaborate, Shapeways search is an exercise in creative searching...sifting through up to dozens of pages...and you still probably never find many items that would actually be relevant.

Speaking of "Relevance", this sort option doesn't seem to work at all. Type "28mm motorcycle" and sort by Relevance. Out of almost 250 models from the first 5 page results (28 pages total!) - there are about 5-10 actual motorcycle related items. I'd guess the search is just filtering "28mm" OR "motorcycle" but even that doesn't seem to fit entirely what I see. Obviously hardly any are motorcycles and the scales, though mostly 28mm, are all over the place.

I know I can play around w/ quotes, searching titles only, etc. But the basics of searching are not effective or user friendly at all. All of the sites mentioned above, including even etsy, are easier to get appropriate results.

I hope this gets attention. Making it easier for people to find what they want will only translate to more popularity, more usage, and more sales.

7. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    spamitnow, try using "and" to combine search terms: "28mm and motorcycles" brings up only very few items that are not directly relevant - and those are described as command cars for motorcycle battalions.

8. lukie80
    lukie80 Member
    Thanks for the info mkroeker. Somehow I forgot to try to use the AND operator.

Well, I'd say shapeways broke the holy rule of search usability by using OR as the default operator instead of AND. Luckily it allows AND operators.

9. spamitnow
    spamitnow Member
    Heh, "28mm and motorcycles" definitely gets results that'd I'd expect! Thanks, mkroeker!

Like lukie80 mentioned, that should probably be the default underlying mechanic. Seems like that must be how most other online shops I've used work.