Problem with Hollowing Out Sculpt in Blender (Boolean)

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by serkanyener, Mar 10, 2015.

1. serkanyener
    serkanyener Member
    Hi,

I have spent days sculpting a bust of Michael Jackson in Blender and I have run into a problem which I really hope someone from Shapeways can
    help me with.

I don't know which step I went wrong exactly (I think it's from joining 3 different meshes - Hair, Head, Body) but I am unable to hollow out the sculpt. For some reason the boolean modifier is presenting undesirable results.

I have checked normals, doubles, non-manifold etc but just can't seem to get it to hollow out properly.

I can see there are some non-manifold vertices on the MJ mesh but if I delete these, I am left with holes and I am not sure how to fix these easily (without going in and joining a million vertices one by one).

Please take a look and let me know if theres any hope for MJ :(
    You will see that I have the objects I want to remove from the sculpt.

Thank you in advance
    Serkan

Attached Files:

2. Keymaker
    Keymaker Well-Known Member
    Hi Serkan,

You definitly made mistake when you joined head with hair. If you look inside (alt+b in viewport) you can sse that there is still somethink left from hair that should not be there. That is also reason why you get nonmanifold verteces all around hairs.
    MJ.png

So first step is to go back to unconected model any try boolean operation on each one of those. If it works you dont need to conect it into one mesh as SW can do it for you. (if it is ovelaping...)

PS: if there is no specific reason for cylinder opening (i guess you have to make hole in it) you can make just extrude bottom of "cube" outside MJ and make that bottom completly open...

3. serkanyener
    serkanyener Member
    Hi,

Thanks for your response.

Yes, I tried multiple methods to try to get rid of that internal mess so that I can hollow it out properly but nothing worked.

Finally I went back to a previous version of the project (before I did the 'Joins') and found an add-on called BoolTool. It calculates the boolean so that it joins the two objects properly with no internal mess. Hooray!

So my mistake was to actually boolean the two objects against each other (to erase everything that was intersecting), then I joined them. Big no no!
    All a learning experience so I am happy it all happened.

BoolTool add on rocks!

Thanks!

4. Sometimes BoolTool takes you places (in a good way) that the built in Boolean doesn't.

I was just going to recommend it.

You beat me to it.

Glad it worked for ya.