FUD: What changed in the last four years?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RolandR, Mar 3, 2015.

1. RolandR
    RolandR Member
    A long time ago I ordered some models in Frosted Ultra Detail.

For the most part, I was very happy with the quality, but there were some slight issues with warping, wax residue and the wax changing the surface structure.

I am now finally back to working on that project.

What changed regarding Frosted Ultra Detail since 2011/2012?
    [list type=square]
    [*] Quality?
    [*] Pricing?
    [*] Anything else?
    [/list]

Thanks!

2. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    One thing that has changed is the forum is not as active as it was back then. :D

As for changes to FUD, I never printed anything in FUD back then, but from what I've heard in the forum, over the years, the wax problem is less of an issue these days.

3. RolandR
    RolandR Member
    I've noticed ;-)

That's great to hear!
    Next to parts warping, this was one of the biggest issues back then.

I guess I'll be ready to order in the next few weeks and I'll see for myself.

4. tinarity
    tinarity Well-Known Member
    I can't say for FUD, but I had something printed (seahorse) in FD and it arrived okay. When I had a look at it a few days/weeks later, it developed yellow stains (unremovable) and I couldn't sell it that way. Was a bit late to complain about it then.

5. For me, FUD quality remains a roll of the dice. I'll get good-looking parts one order, and I'll get rotten-looking parts the next order. I got an order yesterday with several different FUD models and they were all pretty good except for one, which was really disappointing. The lack of any kind of control over how the models are oriented when printing is the single most frustrating part about ordering from Shapeways. It's actually the biggest reason I have decided to purchase a resin DLP printer for myself, so that I am not at the mercy of Shapeways' need to cram as many models as physically possible into the print job. While I wait for delivery of my printer, I suppose I'll have to create a multiple-oriented version of this model and have it printed again at substantially higher cost, just to increase the odds of getting at least one clean copy.

Rant over, LOL!

6. MadAsU
    MadAsU Well-Known Member
    I had a similar issue with a vase I printed (FD) - there was some yellow in the bottom, but after having some water in it, there is a lot of yellow that doesn't wash off.

7. RolandR
    RolandR Member
    Oh, it's a pity that this hasn't been improved yet.

I had the same experience with my FUD orders.
    One model would be almost perfect, the next in the same order would have serious issues.