Home » Support » 3D Applications » Showing design in 3D
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Showing design in 3D [message #12992] Wed, 19 May 2010 08:35 UTC Go to next message
avatar gharryh  is currently offline gharryh
Go to my shop
If i want to see my design at http://www.shapeways.com/detail?model=120553&mode=3d the java applet starts but the model doesnt show up.

If i click on any other design it works. Is this a website error or something else?

Harry
Re: Showing design in 3D [message #13017 is a reply to message #12992 ] Wed, 19 May 2010 17:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar WelshDesigns  is currently offline WelshDesigns
Go to my shop
I've had that happen a couple times on me too. I've normally found some other issue with the model, and evenuallly it went away, and I was able to see the item in the 3D viewer correctly. My guess is something might be wrong with the model. Looking at the render, I see some polygons that look strange, possibly inverted or bad normals. Mainly on the very front surface, I see a triangle that seems to be shading incorreclty to my eye. If you want to post the model, I'm sure several of us can help check it out. Post a .stl if possible.
Re: Showing design in 3D [message #13033 is a reply to message #13017 ] Thu, 20 May 2010 09:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Here's a zip file with tree files, a st, wrl and dea version.
In AccuTrans3D i don't see anything wrong.

• Attachment: dg2421.zip
    (Size: 75.98KB, Downloaded 137 time(s))

Re: Showing design in 3D [message #13036 is a reply to message #13033 ] Thu, 20 May 2010 10:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
I checked the vrml, according to meshlab all normals are inside out.
So flipped those, try it now ?

Stijn

[Updated on: Thu, 20 May 2010 10:40 UTC]

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: Showing design in 3D [message #13038 is a reply to message #13036 ] Thu, 20 May 2010 11:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
That works now. But my MiniMagic reports still 700+ errors but ShapeWays accepts the design.

Next thing to try is to reverse the normals in Microstation before exporting to VRML.
Re: Showing design in 3D [message #13039 is a reply to message #13038 ] Thu, 20 May 2010 13:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Meshmedic probably fixed the errors.

If you can't figure the normals thing outin your software, you can use Meshlab for this : http://meshlab.sourceforge.net/

Re: Showing design in 3D [message #13045 is a reply to message #13039 ] Thu, 20 May 2010 17:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
If i change all the outward facing normals to inward then i get the error:
Unfortunately, we were not able to process and thus print your model. The error message received is the following "Only manifold objects can be printed".

Further there is no change on the model.

How do i change normals using MeshLab?

Re: Showing design in 3D [message #13050 is a reply to message #13045 ] Thu, 20 May 2010 19:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar artur83  is currently offline artur83
Go to my shop
if ALL faces have their normals inverted, the error message in the email should say "windingcheck error".

Non-manifold usually means that there's no thickness, it's not a closed solid.

Not sure what the problem is, you can always send it to support.
Re: Showing design in 3D [message #13060 is a reply to message #12992 ] Fri, 21 May 2010 14:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Hi Stijn,

How do you flip the normals in MeshLab.
I tryed to do so with that program but it dint work.

However the version treathed with meshlab is printable and the not threathed one not.

And the uploade version still cant be seen in 3D.
Attached is the version from Meshlab as dea

Re: Showing design in 3D [message #13066 is a reply to message #12992 ] Fri, 21 May 2010 16:21 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
The first model had all normals flipped and several errors.
By reversing all normals, at least it looks ok in meshlab, and meshmedic (shapeways upload fix thingy) is then apparently able to fix it.

I used meshlab 1.2.3b,l loaded the file, and then : menu filters -> normals,curvature.... -> Invert faces orientation, I think I used the original STL.
(guidline in meshlab : the real dark faces are usually inside out, the whiter ones are ok.)

The last wrl file is partly dark partly white, indicating mixed normals.
There is plenty other options, also a re-orient all faces coherently.
But I'm not sure how you got the model partly inside out like the last example ?

As Artur suggest, better contact support, because don't know why the 3d-view still refuses.

Previous Topic:Lightwave VRML export
Next Topic:Color-Printing Problems with 3dsmax