I can't upload any file

Discussion in 'Bug Reporting' started by Zews, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Zews
    Zews Member
    I have been trying to upload files for more than 24 hours. Nothing goes up.

I have a fast Internet connection. Download speed around 120 Mbps, upload around 11.6 Mbps

I have cleared my cache, quit and restarted my browser, shut down and restarted my computer.

I have tried Google Chrome and Safari with identical results. In Chrome all I see is "Waiting for www.shapeways.com ..." in the bottom left hand corner of the window. In Safari the blue progress line in the URL address field does not move. Both seem to indicate that the issue is with Shapeways since my browsers cannot connect to the site. I have however no issues at all with any Internet traffic.

The issue is also not with my files. They are compatible file formats (STL), and conform to file size and polygon count.

Does anybody have any ideas?

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  2. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    Hmmmm... I just uploaded a 48 megabyte STL a few minutes ago and all was normal.

Have you successfully uploaded to Shapeways before?

Usually, when there is a problem Shapeways sends you an email telling you what the problem is. Although, and I haven't done it in a long time so it may not be the case in this time frame, but, I noticed that if I'd tried to upload too large of a file nothing at all happened. It used to just stay locked on the upload page and no email from Shapeways about any errors.

Let us know if the problem is still persisting and we'll help narrow it down.

3. MitchellJetten
    MitchellJetten Shapeways Employee CS Team
  4. Zews
    Zews Member
    Yes, I have uploaded multiple files before. I am quite familiar with uploading files to service bureaus. This was the first time this has ever happened.

Usually the Shapeways site responds very slowly to anything I do on it, but no response to an upload attempt had never happened before. The same thing happened as with you, i.e. no error messages and the page showing was the page with the message "PLEASE WAIT ... Please wait while your model is being uploaded ..." Nothing else.

Finally late last night I was able to upload my files. As usual the files each only took about a couple of minutes to upload.

When this did not work I did a test at https://www.speedtest.net/ to test my network upload speed. After I was finally successful uploading the files I did the test again. The result was the same. This makes me pretty sure that the issue was on the Shapeways side.