Home » Support » 3D Design » stainless steel strength
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
stainless steel strength [message #12475] Tue, 04 May 2010 17:39 UTC Go to next message
avatar fridgehead  is currently offline fridgehead
Go to all my models
How strong are thin stainless steel prints? I ask because I have a stainless steel bar through my right ear which is about 3mm in diameter and was wondering if a printed one would have the same sort of strength as the one thats there now

Obviously I cant thread the end for screw on balls but I dare say I can be creative with holding it in my ear Very Happy
Re: stainless steel strength [message #12573 is a reply to message #12475 ] Fri, 07 May 2010 11:07 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Tommy_2Tall  is currently offline Tommy_2Tall
Go to my shop

I think that with the right die (one for harder metals) there shouldn't be any problems threading a rod of printed stainless steel/bronze.

It can certainly withstand more than an earlobe and I saw that your @-rod/tunnel is rather cheap so if I were you I'd certainly order a few test-rods that have the right diameter for threading the same (external) thread needed for the screw-on balls.

The tricky/expensive part would probably be the die, die-holder and lubricant (not sure if it's needed when threading by hand).

Previous Topic:whys this costing $300+
Next Topic:COLLADA and units vs same STL not accepted