Home »  » 3D Design » stainless steel strength
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
stainless steel strength [message #12475] Tue, 04 May 2010 17:39 UTC Go to next message
avatar fridgehead  is currently offline fridgehead
Go to all my models
How strong are thin stainless steel prints? I ask because I have a stainless steel bar through my right ear which is about 3mm in diameter and was wondering if a printed one would have the same sort of strength as the one thats there now

Obviously I cant thread the end for screw on balls but I dare say I can be creative with holding it in my ear Very Happy
Re: stainless steel strength [message #12573 is a reply to message #12475 ] Fri, 07 May 2010 11:07 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Tommy_2Tall  is currently offline Tommy_2Tall
Go to my shop

I think that with the right die (one for harder metals) there shouldn't be any problems threading a rod of printed stainless steel/bronze.

It can certainly withstand more than an earlobe and I saw that your @-rod/tunnel is rather cheap so if I were you I'd certainly order a few test-rods that have the right diameter for threading the same (external) thread needed for the screw-on balls.

The tricky/expensive part would probably be the die, die-holder and lubricant (not sure if it's needed when threading by hand).

Previous Topic:whys this costing $300+
Next Topic:COLLADA and units vs same STL not accepted

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.