Home » Support » 3D Printing » Windingcheck error?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Windingcheck error? [message #12445] Tue, 04 May 2010 00:35 UTC Go to next message
avatar ChrisWilmer  is currently offline ChrisWilmer
Go to my shop
After fixing my non-manifold errors on my mesh, I ended up getting a windingcheck error that I have no idea how to fix. Has anybody seen this before?

-Chris
Re: Windingcheck error? [message #12447 is a reply to message #12445 ] Tue, 04 May 2010 05:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Never saw that before.. but just a wild guess, probably something to do with normals.
(normals can be defined be the vertex/edge order on a polygon, counterclockwise or clockwise determines normal direction)

You could try a "fix normals" or "unify normals" filter/modifier in meshlab.

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: Windingcheck error? [message #12521 is a reply to message #12445 ] Wed, 05 May 2010 21:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mlautenb  is currently offline mlautenb
Go to my shop
I got this after scaling a working model in Blender and uploading it again...
Re: Windingcheck error? [message #12630 is a reply to message #12445 ] Sun, 09 May 2010 23:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ChrisWilmer  is currently offline ChrisWilmer
Go to my shop
If you guys are still interested, I did end up fixing this error...

...it's hard to describe, I don't think it had anything to do with normals, but the way the vertices were connected by edges was kind of "messy" (the faces were auto-generated). I re-autogenerated the faces with a different tool and they came out much cleaner.

If anyone is getting this problem persistently, perhaps I can give more details.
Re: Windingcheck error? [message #15407 is a reply to message #12630 ] Thu, 29 July 2010 11:28 UTC Go to previous message
avatar hplahpla  is currently offline hplahpla
Go to all my models
I had the Windingcheck error too.

Turns out Shapeways defines "inside" as where the normal is pointing.

I had all the normals pointing outside.

All I had to do was flip all normals and it was fine.

I was using Blender.

Previous Topic:leaving 3d prints outdoors - weather resistence
Next Topic:Converting OBJ to STL (or other printable format)?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.