Model modeler available

Discussion in '3D Design Requests' started by patmat2350, Jan 19, 2015.

1. patmat2350
    patmat2350 Well-Known Member
    Hi all-

I'm an engineer with over 30 years experience, and work with a very high end CAD package. I am experienced not only in the CAD software, but the various forms of 3D Printing available at Shapeways, and just as importantly, how to design for 3DP, and how to design parts that will work as required. For example, how the problematic surface finish can be dealt with, how parts can be assembled when a kit is required, and simply how to make the designs practical.

My specialty is scale models of ships, but any other subject is possible too... except I'm not offering to do "organic" designs, as those are best done by others with different softwares.

Feel free to PM me about your design ideas. The portfolio below shows models that I have designed and assembled myself.

[​IMG]

In this 40 inch long model, everything from the deck level up, including the cabin, was 3D printed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For this 27 inch long model, the entire set was 3D printed-- hull, cabin, and even the brass parts (Shapeways investment cast brass from 3DP waxes).

[​IMG]

The outdrives and trim tabs on this 1:9 scale offshore racer were all printed.

[​IMG]

This entire 27 inch model was 3D printed, except for a few brass and cordage details.

2. DoctorOctoroc
    DoctorOctoroc Well-Known Member
    Very impressive! Organic modeling is indeed tricky, but it looks like you've got the chops for it with all the hull modeling you've done. I use SolidWorks, which is definitely not built for organic shapes, but it can still be achieved with the tools. I mainly build models used in drawings for design patent applications so I never know what will come through my inbox on a given day. One day I have a simple mechanical part to model, another day it's a figurine with all sorts of complex organic features.

But I don't blame you for sticking with the more technical modeling, I loathe the organic stuff!