Home » Community » Introductions » Hi, from Oklahoma
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Hi, from Oklahoma [message #12234] Tue, 27 April 2010 16:52 UTC Go to next message
avatar rednecknerd  is currently offline rednecknerd
Go to all my models
Hi,

Found this site by the news of printed Stainless.

I joined and uploaded my first model. Its a simple ring.

Its way to big. Not sure why. I modeled it in Solidworks and exported to an STL file.

My model is .01 cubic in (.16387 cubic cm)
.25" (6.35mm)
.43" (10.92mm)
.43" (10.92mm)

it has .33" (8.382mm) hole through it.

It shows up as

H 16.1cm
W27.7cm
D27.7cm

I am searching for other post but have not found any yet of other people with the same problem. I can't be the first!

• Attachment: Breath.STL
    (Size: 545.79KB, Downloaded 96 time(s))

Re: Hi, from Oklahoma [message #12236 is a reply to message #12234 ] Tue, 27 April 2010 17:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
To start, .01" is too small to be printed in stainless, or any material for that matter. Stainless requires 3mm (a little less than .12" I always use .12") and the smallest any material can do is 1mm (I use .04") Check out under the support tab, Materials, and it will give you all the restrictions for each material.

As far as your problem. When you uploaded did you select inches as your units? The dimensions I'm getting on your model match the units that Shapeways gave you.

Studying further, it appears your SolidWorks is set to mm, as 6.35 (the height I'm getting for your ring) If I take that as mm and convert to inches I get the .25" you stated.

Studying even further I see that you had that marked out on your model Razz. Just upload as mm and it'll upload as long as it doesn't catch that it is too thin to be printed.

[Updated on: Tue, 27 April 2010 17:12 UTC]

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Hi, from Oklahoma [message #12243 is a reply to message #12236 ] Tue, 27 April 2010 17:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thanks for the reply. I have been digging around and just found the units problem.

The .01 in was from solidworks. It seemed small to me but I was too lazy to do the math manually.

It worked for me when i marked the units correctly.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/114720/breath.html

• Attachment: Breath.STL
    (Size: 526.45KB, Downloaded 94 time(s))

[Updated on: Tue, 27 April 2010 17:45 UTC]

Re: Hi, from Oklahoma [message #12245 is a reply to message #12234 ] Tue, 27 April 2010 18:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
There you go, much better. Glad you got it working. Check out the material pages about lettering also, to make sure your letters come out the way you wish. Any other problems let us know and we'll get you back on track.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
Re: Hi, from Oklahoma [message #12261 is a reply to message #12234 ] Wed, 28 April 2010 02:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar rawkstar320  is currently offline rawkstar320
Go to my shop
welcome!

Red Neck Nerd?

Now that is one that I havnt heard...

Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Check out http://JakeDrews.Com and http://WondrousWidgets.Com for more designs by Jake!
Re: Hi, from Oklahoma [message #12272 is a reply to message #12234 ] Wed, 28 April 2010 15:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I guess that means his pocket protector supports shot gun shells Very Happy. I'm in a similar boat, grew up around corn fields, and became an Engineer lol.

Re: Hi, from Oklahoma [message #12408 is a reply to message #12234 ] Mon, 03 May 2010 14:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar kelly7898  is currently offline kelly7898
Go to all my models
Hi !
I've just visited this forum. Happy to get acquainted with you. Thanks.

[Updated on: Mon, 03 May 2010 14:06 UTC]

Re: Hi, from Oklahoma [message #12409 is a reply to message #12272 ] Mon, 03 May 2010 14:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Youknowwho4eva wrote on Wed, 28 April 2010 15:59

I guess that means his pocket protector supports shot gun shells Very Happy. I'm in a similar boat, grew up around corn fields, and became an Engineer lol.

I am now gonna make me one of those! That's awesome.
Re: Hi, from Oklahoma [message #12550 is a reply to message #12234 ] Thu, 06 May 2010 15:36 UTC Go to previous message
avatar rawkstar320  is currently offline rawkstar320
Go to my shop
make sure you post it inthe IT ARRIVED section. I wanna see this thing. Probably should do an action shot too, Coke Bottle Glasses, nerd shirt, pocket protector, slacks while shooting something

Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Check out http://JakeDrews.Com and http://WondrousWidgets.Com for more designs by Jake!

Previous Topic:Now what ? :-)
Next Topic:Greetings From Berlin - for now anyway :-)

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.