Home » Community » Post Production Techniques » Various questions about the WS&F Material.
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
icon5.gif  Various questions about the WS&F Material. [message #12203] Tue, 27 April 2010 12:42 UTC Go to next message
avatar Glinkis  is currently offline Glinkis
Go to my shop
Hello all shapewayers,
I just got my first model, which I made myself: http://www.shapeways.com/model/111540/artists_penholder.html

And now it seems I made the pen-holes 2-3 mm too small. So I thought I could file it, but I don't know. Any advice from anyone who's tried already?

I'm afraid that it will break if I file it so there's only about 1 mm left on each side of the hole, which it would be if I filed it.

Oh and I thought about putting a litle lamp inside the head of the model, with some wiring and a light switch, any thoughts about the heat effects regarding that too?

EDIT: Lastly, I wonder if anyone know where I could buy any kind of spray wich would allow me to make my model a bit more sturdy regarding discoloration and such.

http://www.pici.se/pictures/HeqmIXhaD.jpg

[Updated on: Tue, 27 April 2010 13:47 UTC]

Re: Various questions about the WS&F Material. [message #12434 is a reply to message #12203 ] Mon, 03 May 2010 20:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Not a single reply? Confused
Re: Various questions about the WS&F Material. [message #12437 is a reply to message #12203 ] Mon, 03 May 2010 20:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
I had a model a couple weeks ago, that had a screw hole, that I intentionally made too small so I could just screw it in. Had no problems with the torque on the item. And it was only .04" thick. So it stood up very well to the abuse. I'd check the material restrictions Under support/Materials at the top of this page, but I'm pretty sure WSF and heat shouldn't be combined. Perhaps an LED light? and Lastly, look at other post production techniques, but the one that I can remember works well is clear finger nail polish. I have never used it myself, but I read on one that it works well at protecting WSF models.

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Various questions about the WS&F Material. [message #12440 is a reply to message #12437 ] Mon, 03 May 2010 21:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar gibell  is currently offline gibell
Go to my shop
WSF is difficult to "file down", in my experience. The stuff is wicked strong and somewhat slippery. If you insert a dowel (or pen) into a hole that is too small, this is one way I have seen it crack. If you try to file something down to 1mm, I would guess it would have a good chance of breaking. It puts a lot of stress on it. I have enlarged holes using an electric drill, you might try this.

I've thrown WSF in boiling water will no ill effects. But eventually it will melt, it is just nylon.

[Updated on: Mon, 03 May 2010 21:50 UTC]

Re: Various questions about the WS&F Material. [message #12479 is a reply to message #12203 ] Tue, 04 May 2010 18:22 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
Okay, thanks guys.

Previous Topic:Recycling
Next Topic:Stainless Steel finishing

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.