Need some one to make me a 3D model from a helmet.

Discussion in '3D Design Requests' started by 725357_deleted, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Hello,

Like the title said, Im looking for a 3D modler that wants to make me a 3D model from a helmet, for free.

I hope i get a response soon.

2. Mohsen_Abbasi
    Mohsen_Abbasi Well-Known Member
    for free?!

Can you tell more what you want, maybe with a picture or sketches?

3. HOLDEN8702
    HOLDEN8702 Well-Known Member
    For free?

somebody even could pay you to do it for you!

4. DoctorOctoroc
    DoctorOctoroc Well-Known Member
    I'm sorry, but it I find this incredibly insulting, and I can't be the only one.

To post in a community of dedicated, talented, hard working designers (most of whom I assume paid tens of thousands of dollars for the education - or at the very least, spent thousands of hours learning the software - and then some to buy the software) and propose that they offer up free services to you? What do you suppose anyone else gets out of spending many hours of their life building a model for you if there's no offer of payment for the service? Let me guess...exposure? Even if you plan to show it to companies all over the world and there is some potential for future work, the request is no better than spec work - which is the ultimate plight of the design world. Anyone who does this professionally will tell you the same thing - I just refuse to sugar coat it.

I'd recommend offering at least SOME sum of money for modeling services but I'm sure whatever number you came up with would be more insulting than nothing at all.

I really am sorry (not sorry) for the tone of my response here but damn, some people! If you don't mind me asking, Victor, what do you do for a living? Do you do it for free? No? Then why would you expect anyone else to?

(wait, can we say "damn" on here?)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  5. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    @DoctorOctoroc: There is room here for all types. Not all rewards are expressed in dollars. Some designers are willing to take on projects free of charge in order to gain experience, others that are willing to support a cause, and many more.

I myself have designed many many models "for free", but rather than "giving away" the model, I ask the patron to purchase the item thru my shop, and then allow others to buy it as well. I don't make any "profit" off the first sale, but after many, many copies sold. (note: net to date, I can account for thousands of hours of design labor, and I probably have received total markups that would add up to less than $1.00 per hour invested) The reward(s) for me are much more intangible.. doing the drawings themselves is relaxation for me, and since StonyCantPaint(tm), when I see one of my models properly painted and sitting on a person's model train layout, the emotional rush is worth the time invested.

Also remember that there are many different languages represented here... some users are less than eloquent with making their requests.

@Victor101: you DO need to try to explain 1) what you want to have designed and 2) how it would benefit the designer to design it for you.

Another thing to consider is that full-sized helmets are very expensive to print in 3d. If you don't have the money to have something custom designed, are you going to have the money to pay for $300-$800 worth of printing cost?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  6. DoctorOctoroc
    That's fair enough, and I'm sure if a designer chooses to gain experience by doing some pro bono work, they can reach out to the community to see who has a project that they would enjoy to do without any monetary profit - and thousands would pour in. Working for free is not a service that people need to be offered in order to acquire, usually it comes as an offer from the person doing the work - not as a request from someone needing the work done. I've certainly done my share of work in the past for which I received little or no money, simply to fill a portfolio and network.

But regardless of that fact and whatever country someone comes from, there's little tolerance in the design world for requests for someone to work for no compensation whatsoever. Unless it's an apprenticeship or internship that the person applied to, knowing they would not be paid, there are few other instances where asking someone to work for free is okay, in my opinion. And this isn't one of them.

The reason I responded the way I did wasn't that I took it personally or that I have anything against people working for free to help someone out, but the fact that there seemed to be no consideration whatsoever for the amount of work that goes into the task that was presented. There wasn't so much as an offer for trade, some other service, etc. It was just "Hey, someone want to make me a helmet for free?" and they didn't even bother to put in the work to write up a description of the model, or sketch it, or anything beyond stating their needs and offering nothing in return.

It may seem harmless in and of itself, but the design world has seen a drastic decrease in appreciation for the time and creativity that is involved. Companies are crowdsourcing their designs to save money, putting money in the pockets of those that run the sites, not the people actually designing their logo/product/whatever, and with products that make our job easier (Photoshop, etc.) the rest of the world sees it as an easy job where we sh!t out gold, charge too much, and you get people who, without batting an eye, will ask us to work for free.

Again, sorry about the heat level in here, I just get really offended when people treat designers differently than every other profession on account of the way they perceive the industry.

7. Well after some responses i have got, i have decided to make an apology, if I have offended anyone with this post, then I'm truly sorry, this was never my intention.

The reason why Im looking for some one that can do the job for free, is because I don't have very deep pockets, and Im only 16.

Now i hope all matters have been settled, and again I'm truly sorry if I may have offended.

(ps: I will post some photos of the helmet)

Attached Files:

8. DoctorOctoroc
    Apology accepted, friend. And let me offer an apology for talking to you the way I did. It's a topic that I'm very passionate about (it's why I'm a CAD modeler for a living) and I can tend to get heated when discussing such things. Your age is an indication of the fact that you have many things to learn (don't we all). I don't know if you have a job or not (legal age for employment is 16 in my state, 15 with a worker's permit) but either way, just imagine your boss asked you to come in the next day but couldn't pay you. Would you do it? What about if he asked you to work next week, or next month without pay? Be honest.

But as stonysmith asked, without deep pockets, how will you afford a print so large? Assuming the helmet is full scale and it is designed with a proper thickness to support the structure, you're probably looking at a price range of between $600 and upwards of $1,000. That's an amount of money I could hardly fathom having in my bank account when I was your age.

I wish you luck in finding someone to work and an arrangement that will be mutually beneficial to you both. Just consider what goes into making a model and put yourself in their shoes and ask yourself "how would I react if someone approached me this way?"

9. Mohsen_Abbasi
    Victor101
    When you need the design to print it, you must know ... the manufacturing will be very very very expensive for such size (many hunderts)

10. Mohsen_Abbasi
  11. modelart
    modelart Active Member