Pricing question..

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by 27731_deleted, Apr 23, 2010.

1. 27731_deleted
    27731_deleted Member
    without having a design made yet, how do I calculate a rough price an item would be?

Looking at the materials page I see price/cm3 = $2.50.

So I need to figure out cubic centimeters?

Doing some Google, I come up with the following:

For example.. what I have is roughly 4 inches in length, 3 inches width, and say 1/2 inches high. So, that's roughly 10cm length, roughly 7.5cm width, roughly 1.25cm tall. I multiply all those three together? That's 112.5 cm/3? Then I multiply that by 2.50 and get some ridiculous number.

I must be doing the math wrong. I'll pay someone here to do the 3D modeling for me, but only if the final product isn't going to cost an arm and a leg. Just need a ballpark figure.

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    For an object that size, that price sounds right. That's why a lot of modelers try to stick around the 1mm wall thickness, Your same shape, hollowed out to only have a wall thickness of .04 inches would be 19.54cm^3 and would cost only $48.85

3. artur83
    artur83 Member
    right.

The way I usually pre-calculate is finding out the surface area and the multiplying it by the thickness in cm so usualy (0.2cm).
    depends on the shape, if it's more conical, I'd go for a cone surface area formula, if it's a sphere, the the formula for the sphere. of course these are basic calculations and some features you cannot make hollow (or rather not bother spending time making it hollow) and some areas you'd want to be thicker and heavier for the balance (like a base or feet of a character)

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Luckily my software all I have to do is Tools>Verify>Mass Properties

5. rawkstar320
    rawkstar320 Member
    I can get you a rough quote for the material (for free)

Just let me know in a PM, and i can get you some more info

6. 27731_deleted
    27731_deleted Member
    Well, here's what I was trying to figure out if it's cost effective. I program games for the Atari 2600 (you know the old video game system from 1977). I'd like to get custom cartridge cases made. Here's a picture of the two halves that make up a case:

cart_inside.jpg

I won't be needing the little door on the bottom or the spring or anything. The two halves are held together by a screw.

The top is the original picture, the bottom one I colored. The red area is roughly where the games PCB goes. The blue area does not have to be hollow if it's cheaper.. nothing goes up there anyway.

So, my idea was to make cases similar to the original 2600, but modify them to make them a little different.

I could go through a company overseas, but it's a lot of money to get a mold made and I'd also have to buy in quantity. So, I know I'm not going to get the for say .50 cents a piece here, but even if they're $30 or $40 a piece I'd still probably be interested. I'm only going to use these for limited edition versions of my games.

I have one game completed, one ready to be completed, and the others are all works in progress.

7. Youknowwho4eva
    If you send me some dimensions I'll draw something up for you. I had an Atari and some games, but they were stolen... So I don't have a sample to go by :'(

8. virtox
    virtox Active Member Moderator
    I have some cartridges lying around, and some have plenty of unneeded empty space.
    So could save money by reducing size also.

What is your PCB size ?

How about something really customized for a game ? An alien head or spaceship or something ?
    Those kind of details wouldn't need to increase the cost much, but it might increase the value a lot :)

Cheers,
    Stijn

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  9. 27731_deleted
    27731_deleted Member
    Well, I posted in the modeler needed forum first. Someone has said they'd make the model for me and I think their prices were reasonable.

But, before I went ahead and sent him a cartridge and pay for his work I figured I'd see a rough price estimate of my final product.

.. and as for the comment on custom shaped head like an alien, etc.. that is my intention.

My first released game is Skull Island, which is a puzzle game with 40 levels ranging from beginner to expert.

I thought I'd keep the bottom portion of the cartridge the same, but on top add a circle, so I can make it'll be like a skull shape with teeth. Then I'll get custom labels made to apply on.

10. rawkstar320
    rawkstar320 Member
    Yeah, we can definitely work with that.

Like I said, I am always willing to work with you and if the overall cartridge price is too expensive (which I am sure it will be under the $30 mark) we can work something out. :)

And I dont charge until the project is complete, so if you don't like it, you don't have to pay for it until you like it.

Keep in touch,

Jake

PS: from those pics, I understand now what your looking for, and I think that it will be even cheaper than I originally thought. I was thinking a tombstone shape. :)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2010
  11. 27731_deleted
    27731_deleted Member
    I brought a cartridge in to work today. I took rough dimensions, although I don't know how to read a ruler fully.

Length: Just under 4 inches.. looks like 98mm.
    Width: Just over 3 inches.. looks like 82mm.
    Height: About 3/4 inch.. 19mm?

Walls look to be about 1mm thick.

12. Youknowwho4eva
    Creepy, I went to draw it and my software autosets the cube values to what I last used. 4 x 3 x .5. Just a 1/4 inch different. But anyways I drew it up real quick to get a price guide for a full size, (just a hollow cube with an opening on on of the short ends). It comes to $32.30 in WSF.