Organizing models into folders

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by 3DSlotitFab, Jan 9, 2015.

1. 3DSlotitFab
    3DSlotitFab Member
    Hi there.
    We do a lot of prototyping for internal company use, and I end up with several pages worth of models, only a few of which are sold.
    This gets easily cumbersome - is there a way to categorize the uploaded models into directories, rather than in one single flat space?

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
    hanelyp likes this.
  2. stonysmith
    stonysmith Well-Known Member Moderator
    Directories are not implemented at this time, but you can do "Shop Sections" which will appear as a left hand navigation bar:
    ShopSections.jpg

Then, if you'd like to do a set of choices like I have at the top, you can build a custom Extended Description like this:
    Code:
    <font color="#0000ff" size="2">If you are looking for a specific scale model,<br>
    please select a section here before shopping:</font>
    <table border="0" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="450" style="border-collapse: collapse">
    	<tr>
    		<td width="150" style="border:1pt solid #0000FF; ">
    		<div align="center">
    			<a href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/stonysmith?section=Zscale">
    			<font size="4">Z scale</font></a></div>
    		</td>
    		<td width="150" style="border-bottom: 1pt solid #0000FF; border-left: medium none #0000FF; border-top: 1pt solid #0000FF; border-right: 1pt solid #0000FF; ">
    		<div align="center">
    			<a href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/stonysmith?section=Nscale">
    			<font size="4">N scale</font></a></div>
    		</td>
    		<td width="150" style="border-bottom: 1pt solid #0000FF; border-left: medium none #0000FF; border-top: 1pt solid #0000FF; border-right: 1pt solid #0000FF; ">
    		<div align="center">
    			<a href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/stonysmith?section=Other+Scales">
    			<font size="4">Other scales</font></a></div>
    		</td>
    		<td width="150" style="border-bottom: 1pt solid #0000FF; border-left: medium none #0000FF; width: 163px; border-top: 1pt solid #0000FF; border-right: 1pt solid #0000FF; ">
    		<div align="center">
    			<a href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/stonysmith">
    			<font size="4">All Items</font></a></div>
    		</td>
    	</tr>
    </table>

3. 3DSlotitFab
    3DSlotitFab Member
    Thanks, that's very kind of you and this will become handy soon in my shop. However, this applies to shops, not to my list of models, which is what I'm looking for currently.

4. 388789_deleted
    388789_deleted Well-Known Member
    Hey 3DSlotitFab,

This request makes a lot of sense. Can't promise anything yet, but know that it's on our radar and something that I'd love to do sooner rather than later.

-Trey

8_Perf likes this.
  5. 3DSlotitFab
    3DSlotitFab Member
    Thanks - I see this request pops up from time to time and I certainly understand why!

6. draw
    draw Well-Known Member
    Being able to segregate classes of files outside of the mainstream store files would be helpful. It would make it much easier to focus on store items until others are ready for sale, or to group files by custom work orders as mentioned above. To some extent you can do this with the filtering (private, public, for sale, not for sale) but that still means one long directory. Having a folder file structure would be awesome.

I've seen a couple of issues raised by people offering ShapeJS customized products. It's my understanding that these designs appear in the same product directory as everything else. You should be able to create a folder for let's say a customized cell phone case for an iPhone and another folder for a customized HTC One phone to keep them separate. That's especially important if you also offer other designs. One work around to this is to open different stores for different classes of designs, but really? That's also a big hassle. Maybe one partial solution is to be able to tie one log in to different stores, sort of like aliased email addresses, therefore treating the various stores as a folder file structure.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  7. so... in 2018 (3 year later) is there a solution to this that doesn't involve publicly listing models.