YuuuPeee ! - my first shop sales payment

Discussion in 'Shapeways Shops' started by 28396_deleted, Apr 19, 2010.

1. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member

Any one else got lucky selling items from his/her shop over $30 in total ? :cool:

2. Jettuh
    Jettuh Well-Known Member
    i got just a little over the $30 :rolleyes: :rolleyes: hehe :twisted:

thanx to all the wonderfull people buying my trains :blush:

so this month again, we have money to buy new prototypes!

3. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    :laughing:

same here :cool:

4. rawkstar320
    rawkstar320 Member
    I am hoping to get some money on the next cycle, ive been working towards the $30 for a while...

haha.

Ive sold more in the past month than since I opened my shapeways shop though, so I suppose thats a good thing.

5. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    My sales this year make me look like a business genius last year. 0 sales this year. :rolleyes:

6. coines23
    coines23 Well-Known Member
    I've been doing okay. It helps to target a niche market.

7. 28396_deleted
    28396_deleted Member
    Basically if we think about who shapeways members are..
    then its obvious most of us are 3D modelers.. novices to pros...
    so one should ask him self would i buy a 3D model from another member.. and not simply sit down and design it my self...? :rolleyes:

My opinion is.. until we see some critical mass of traffic to shapeways.com, a shop owner cant really expect to see serious sales...

Also, since "latest 3D designs uploaded" were removed from
    shapeways front page - you don't get your models exposed as before unless surfer did extensive browsing through all the galleries and shops..

BTW, all my sales were from "Dock for iPhone":
    https://www.shapeways.com/model/99403/dock_for_iphone.html

I assume this design has careful measurements and unique style + attractive price ... that drove members to order it ..and not simply try designing it for themselves.

What you guys think?

8. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Well than you should owe me some kick back for advertising shapeways on AT&T's fan page :p. I'm not worried about it though. 20 years from now I'll have forgotten about shapeways then A million dollar check will come in from my sales and I'll be like Yay.

9. rawkstar320
    rawkstar320 Member
    Just checked, i am $2 short of the $30 mark.

so....

if anyone is feeling nice...maybe they could help me out and buy an awesome iPhone Movie Stand!

I really wish Shapeways offered embedding...because i think i would sell a LOT more

10. RalphVdB
    RalphVdB Well-Known Member CS Team
    Hi Rawkstar,

Our developers are looking in to that. We will be offering embedding later this year!

And fyi: there are a members at Shapeways who can almost make a living already out of their sales ;)

Cheers, Ralph

11. Jettuh
    Jettuh Well-Known Member
    Ralph,

i remember somebody telling me that they saw my shop in the top3 shop list or something?

but i can't really find a page where the top3 shops are listed?

--

but making your living out of selling @ shapeways :eek: wow i would love to have that one day!
    having my own big office and sitting on a chair,, watching my people designing trains :D

12. rawkstar320
    rawkstar320 Member
    wow, thats crazy.

I suppose if you really really really put the work into it, you could make enough good models that would sell.

Imo, i really only have a few models worth buying, plus I dont really have a lot of outside advertising. soo...

The potential is deff there

13. 17207_deleted
    17207_deleted Member
    Hi,

@ Jettuh, yeah and then next time we go to Siggraph we will see you arriving in a limo! :D

Another Shapie will soon share some useful tips on how to sell more. But it's not just nice models, an extensive description of your model helps a lot in making it more easy to find.

Bye!
    Marleen

14. Jettuh
    Jettuh Well-Known Member
    @Marleen, is there a helipad over there? :laughing: :cool:

i still have to make an extensive description for my models!

do you have an answer for the question about the top3 i asked? :blush:
    --

Rawkstar, the way i have made quite some money selling my models:

* make something that people want,, make something they really can use,, but can't find that kind somewhere else.

= i made dutch model trains which aren't for sell in the scale i made them (1:160)

* advertise/promote on websites/forums,, where the targeted public comes around.

= i promoted/showed my models on a big dutch modeltrains forum.

* by adding new designs on you shop,, and then promoting on the same website/forum the new design,, the people will see your post again, and with a bit of luck also new people that didn't see your post will be looking in your shop

= each time i'm creating a model, i show them some pictures of the WIP,, and ask what they want to see changed (most of the times they are allready happy to see the model is being made)

let me think,, do i have some more suggestions?
    yeah just 1 i think :blush:

* try expanding your market,, so not just uhh rings or trains,, but try new stuff,, the more diffrent things you sell,, the more people you attract :D

= haven't done it yet myself,, but i'm thinking about what sort of market i can give a boost with my designs.
    one of the things i came up was model airplanes,, like 1:150 or something.

i'm not going to tell you how much i sell atm,, but it's more as $50 :rolleyes: :twisted:

hope all people can use this message?

15. RalphVdB
    RalphVdB Well-Known Member CS Team
    The top3 Shops Mitchell is talking about is from the shopowners newsletter of the 25 th of March ;)

16. 28117_deleted
    28117_deleted Member
    Hi guys!

This was in our shopowner newletter, but for everyone that doesn't know yet:

We put up a page with some great tips to promote your shop.
    Click here to check it out!

Cheers,
    Arnoud