Varnishing Full Color Sandstone

Discussion in 'Finishing Techniques' started by Magic, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    Hello,

I tried to Varnish the Grumpy Cat that was in Full Color Sandstone.
    I used a clear acrylic varnish.
    Here is the model before:
    Raw.JPG
    and after:
    Varnished.JPG
    It lost a little bit of constrast (in particular the blacks are not really black anymore) but I like the "porcelain" effect it got.
    What do you think?

2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Looks wet, which might explain the grumpyness... perhaps a matte varnish would have preserved contrast better ?

3. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    :) I guess the grumpy cat needs no reasons to be grumpy anyways but I like your interpretation...

The gloss varnish itself is a glue/varnish (Uhu Fix "N" Glaze). It is white. I think this can explain the loss of contrast. Perhaps with an actually clear varnish it would work better, but I did not want to use a varnish with too many chemical products (this one is solvent free)...

I'd like to see other experiments with different varnishes.

4. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    I think I saw polyurethane-based varnishes recommended in earlier posts on this topic...

5. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    Have you tried how it works over black cardboard or paper? Maybe it doesn't dry fully clear.

With some varnishes it's an application problem that happens if you put a thick coat (better multiple thin ones), or go over a half dry zone, or don't mix the matting agent properly (not this case, it's gloss).