Home » Community » It arrived! » 3-D obsessions
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
3-D obsessions [message #11513] Wed, 07 April 2010 10:43 UTC Go to next message
avatar tones3-d  is currently offline tones3-d
Go to my shop
My Twin Wide Angle Lens Adapter arrived ... just in time for my walking trip in the Fiordlands National Park in New Zealand:
index.php?t=getfile&id=3191&private=0
Here it is, with machined brass thread inserts fitted.

index.php?t=getfile&id=3192&private=0
Here the lenses have been screwed in.

index.php?t=getfile&id=3193&private=0
Here, fitted up to the Twin Rig ( http://www.shapeways.com/model/72937/baseplate_for_stereo_3_ d_twin_rig_camera.html) and ready.

index.php?t=getfile&id=3194&private=0
Here, with the twin lens cover ( http://www.shapeways.com/model/93536/twin_wide_angle_lens_ca p.html).

index.php?t=getfile&id=3195&private=0
Here, with the win back-cap fitted ( http://www.shapeways.com/model/72950/twin_rear_lens_cover.ht ml), for dust-free storage when not in use.

Re: 3-D obsessions [message #11517 is a reply to message #11513 ] Wed, 07 April 2010 13:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar aeron203  is currently offline aeron203
Go to my shop
Impressive work getting all these parts to fit together so precisely. Especially the inserts. The brass is held in with adhesive? I have been considering what approach to take for bonding like that, and I've been thinking mostly hot-pressed and/or barbed inserts, which would work for screw bosses but not on something like this. After your trip I'm sure you'll have a wealth of knowledge about how 3D prints function in the field. Please share!

I'm also thinking you may miss some good shots if you have to assemble the rig each time you use it. A frame would give it support and a regular shape that you could put in a bag.

One of the most jaw-dropping camera rigs I've seen is the Red One. Man, I want one of these.

http://www.red.com/accessories/

If you took that sort of approach and used metal for the structural elements and SLS for the joinery, this thing would be rock solid enough to carry assembled.

Aaron - 40westdesigns.com/blog
Re: 3-D obsessions [message #11523 is a reply to message #11517 ] Wed, 07 April 2010 15:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar gibell  is currently offline gibell
Go to my shop
Great job fitting together the metal and plastic. It looks very professional with the dust covers and all.

Keep those cameras dry in Fjordlands! I was there many years ago ...
Re: 3-D obsessions [message #11586 is a reply to message #11513 ] Fri, 09 April 2010 16:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Impressive engineering ! Good stuff ! Smile

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: 3-D obsessions [message #11853 is a reply to message #11513 ] Sun, 18 April 2010 10:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thanks for the positive feedback, people.

I machined the inserts after the print arrived, so that I could measure what I had, very carefully. They're a slight interference fit, shallow-grooved on the outside diameter, and then glued in with loctite 680 (the strongest variety I have)

aeron203:
I do not need to assemble it each time, it is quite strong enough to carry assembled. With appropriate design, and printed thickly enough, the WS&F is surprisingly rigid, and the cross-piece on the adapter strengthens the assembly even more.

Also, I have about 20 years' experience in 3-D photography, so I know where I am headed with this project.

I'll post a link when I've had the time to publish some photos. (most of my photos are transparencies, which I show using a stereo projector, and the more recent digital pairs are also projected using a double-head video adapter driving two projectors; both systems utilize polarizing filters for left-right discrimination)

The Belt:
index.php?t=getfile&id=3340&private=0

Opened, ready to remove camera:
index.php?t=getfile&id=3341&private=0

Ready to shoot:
index.php?t=getfile&id=3342&private=0

icon14.gif  Re: 3-D obsessions [message #11857 is a reply to message #11513 ] Sun, 18 April 2010 17:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar dizingof  is currently offline dizingof
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
wow , Impressive !

Glad to see i'm not the only one designing real products using 3D printing ! Very Happy

Is there a link to see some of 3D pics you took with those cameras?
Do we need an active-shutter 3d glasses to view them?

http://www.3Dizingof.com
Re: 3-D obsessions [message #11882 is a reply to message #11513 ] Mon, 19 April 2010 13:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar maartje  is currently offline maartje
Go to my shop
I work here
Great, I'm also very interested in the pictures U made with it!
Re: 3-D obsessions [message #11970 is a reply to message #11513 ] Wed, 21 April 2010 15:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar aeron203  is currently offline aeron203
Go to my shop
Fits like a glove. Clearly that experience is a rich resource for you, and for us by extension. I'll try not to irritate you with too many questions, since my machine shop time would be measured in hours. Embarassed

I'm also looking forward to seeing some 3D photos!

Aaron - 40westdesigns.com/blog
Re: 3-D obsessions [message #11990 is a reply to message #11513 ] Thu, 22 April 2010 01:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Please ask!! If I can share any experience and/or thoughts, I'm always delighted.
Re: 3-D obsessions [message #12089 is a reply to message #11990 ] Sun, 25 April 2010 11:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Here are some photos .... more will follow as time permits.

http://www.abignell.id.au/stereo_photo_albums.html
Re: 3-D obsessions [message #12130 is a reply to message #11513 ] Mon, 26 April 2010 13:12 UTC Go to previous message
avatar 4m3D  is currently offline 4m3D
Go to my shop
Nice!!! Crazy project. This sort of stuff makes my head spin!

--------------------------------------------
Todd Bailey
Owner and Creative Designer
4m3D Creative Design
www.4m3d.com
Skype Me!! - todd.4m3d
twitter - www.twitter.com/4m3D or @4m3D
Facebook Fan Page - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fredericton-NB/4m3D/1706911563 28?ref=nf

Please consider our environment before printing this email.

Previous Topic:Twist & Slide by OSKAR
Next Topic:"Nôol arrived"!!

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.