Checks and rejection reasons not punctual and transparent

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by RMRdesign, Dec 23, 2014.

1. RMRdesign
    RMRdesign Member
    With my experience with printing a lot on shapeways I can say the checks are not always understandable and not matching the designer rules or the 3D checkup file. With several models I had a succesfully printed model, and now with a new upload of exactly the same model it isn't. And otherwise first rejected models where printed with another upload without differences. I want to share some examples from rejections and my opinion.

[​IMG]
    The details are tend to disappear in the upright perspective, and even it shouldn't have the sharpness as drawn. Why should you design everything as how it will be printed? That will cost incredible lots of time and for what? O yea, even this model I have already and exactly how I wanted it:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This should have poor dimensions, nevertheless it has triangle connections at the corners of 2,8x3,5mm ! Dear Shapeways engineer, think more geometrically! Beside that wall thickness are roomy everywhere, I can't see te problem. Why I have to fillet inside corners? I know there will be rounded with the printprocess, when I should draw everything as it will look like after printing, designing will be a hell of a job and you wouldn't make profit of me.

[​IMG]
    Also here, think more geometrically. These are not walls ! In the checkup screen the outcoming little squares are green. I know it will be a little bit different, a bit rounded after the printprocess. The forks has a bigger connection on the inside so I think this detail isn't a problem.

Shapeways is a really great 3D print community and I wan't to show you my isseus with the best intensions to make it better. But I can say with more clear, better and with written-visualised rules you have to make this process less complicated. I know it is hard because you almost have to be a architect, construction engineer, graphic artist and 3D print engineer in once to do this job right. I'll hope this will be a useful conversation.

2. RMRdesign
    RMRdesign Member
    excuse.. the last example is on the boundary of wall thickness indeed. Then I would say make more work to visualize what the issue is.

3. RMRdesign
    RMRdesign Member
    There must be done something on the process of designer to product, just simple feedback which are known at any other (design-manufacturing) process. You have to work together !

1: The designer delivers and describes his design.

2: A print-checker must have direct contact with the designer when he print something for the first time. He gives with his best insight and intention what he thinks of it and gives advise with issues about details. The written design rules and the 3D checkup must tell you the printability, when a model is not printable a checker must base that on those facts.

3: The designer gives response and agree or not agree to print the model.

4: When something is printed with satisfaction, the designer must be able to click the button 'product ready for selling to customers'

At the end this will be more transparent, less frustrating and time-wasting for designer AND Shapeways ! When a designer is encouraged to produce more, count your profit Shapies !