Home » Support » 3D Applications » Blender- wrapping a shape around a cylinder?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Blender- wrapping a shape around a cylinder? [message #11269] Wed, 31 March 2010 03:26 UTC Go to next message
avatar StuffBySteve  is currently offline StuffBySteve
Go to my shop
Hello;
If you have a solid shape that looks something like the attached picture, is there a tool in Blender to wrap it into a cylinder, so the two end faces meet?

• Attachment: Picture1.png
    (Size: 434.09KB, Downloaded 301 time(s))

Re: Blender- wrapping a shape around a cylinder? [message #11273 is a reply to message #11269 ] Wed, 31 March 2010 08:04 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar sublimate  is currently offline sublimate
Go to my shop
The closest thing I can think of is Shift-W in edit mode.
You want to be looking at it from the top and the cursor will be the center of the circle it will wrap to.
Re: Blender- wrapping a shape around a cylinder? [message #11275 is a reply to message #11269 ] Wed, 31 March 2010 09:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar iguffick  is currently offline iguffick
Go to all my models
Another way of doing this is to use a curve modifier.
You can then move/change the curve or object interactively to get exactly what you want.

BR,
Ian.
Re: Blender- wrapping a shape around a cylinder? [message #13354 is a reply to message #11275 ] Thu, 03 June 2010 16:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar EricFinley  is currently offline EricFinley
Go to my shop
Curve modifier is definitely the way to go.

Quick warning, though - don't try to use a "Bezier Circle" as your curve. It has to have two ends. A circle with a tiny piece cut out can work, or you can get there starting from the default Bezier Curve object. Either way works.
Re: Blender- wrapping a shape around a cylinder? [message #13378 is a reply to message #13354 ] Fri, 04 June 2010 13:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stuartar  is currently offline stuartar
Go to my shop
Or,

In Top View, make a Circle with 16 vertices (make sure Fill is enabled).

Select only the inside Edges (spokes) of the Circle and press Subdivide once.

Now Delete all the inner Faces, so you end up with a donut shape.

Alt Select the inside Edge of the Circle, and Scale up to the desired thickness.

Now Select alternate pairs of Edges (spokes) around your wheel, so you end
up with 4 pairs selected and 4 pairs not selected.

Go into Front View, and move the Selected Edges down in the Z direction to
the amount you want.

Select All Faces, Extrude down to the desired thickness.

All done in less than a minute. Hope it helps!.
Re: Blender- wrapping a shape around a cylinder? [message #14948 is a reply to message #13354 ] Mon, 19 July 2010 22:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar randomhuman  is currently offline randomhuman
Go to all my models
I used a bezier circle for a curve modifier before and it works fine as long as the circle is sized correctly. You can modify the diameter of the circle to change the number of times the object is wrapped around it, while the distance between the circle and the object determines the diameter of the circle the object goes to. If you rotate the circle relative to the object you get a spring effect. It takes a bit of practise to get it to do what you want (some things are a bit backwards), but it works quite well when you get used to it.
Re: Blender- wrapping a shape around a cylinder? [message #15863 is a reply to message #14948 ] Tue, 10 August 2010 06:16 UTC Go to previous message
avatar Tommy_2Tall  is currently offline Tommy_2Tall
Go to my shop
Hi SteveLikesCubes!

I would go with Shift+W (also found in the menu "Mesh"/"Transform"/"Warp" if I recall correctly).

It doesn't involve curves or object modifiers so it's less complicated.

View the mesh in the top view (if that's the view you want it to look like a circle in).

Drag the mesh so that it's at the right distance from the 3D cursor (if the closest side is X mm from the cursor the ring will have an inner diameter of X mm).

Press Shift+W and drag the mouse cursor to see the effect (you can type in 360 and hit Enter for a full 360 degrees straight away).

Cheers.

[Updated on: Wed, 11 August 2010 05:50 UTC]

Previous Topic:All in one GoogleSketchup?
Next Topic:Problem with shapeways 3d previewer

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.