Home » Support » 3D Design » blender and cm centiemeters
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
blender and cm centiemeters [message #641] Tue, 05 August 2008 21:07 UTC Go to next message
avatar janis  is currently offline janis
Go to all my models

uu.. how do i see the size of objects?

i'm every new to blender.. but if i wanna make hole of 0,8cm how do i do this..

graag antwoord ook in het Nederlands voor het geval ik het engels niet begrijp Smile..
Re: blender and cm centiemeters [message #645 is a reply to message #641 ] Wed, 06 August 2008 00:24 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar andre.bois  is currently offline andre.bois
Go to my shop
There are no units in Blender.
Typically for Shapeways works, I do the the modelling with 1 blender unit = 1 cm, that works well.
Then I scale the objects by 0.01 to be able to feed an .STL file in meters.

Easy to do with precision in Blender :
just select you objects, then type 'S' then '0.01' then enter.

PS: I just saw that the upload page now allow to select meters or millimeters as units, so you may get away by using 1 blender unit = 1 millimeter, without the need for rescale.

PPS: if you question is how to see the units in Blender :
Type 'N' when mouse is over a 3D window : a little popup will appear, look for the DimX DimY DimZ values. And use the grid with visual reference too.
I often create a simple plane in A4 dimensions, to have a rough size reference aside my 3D scene.

[Updated on: Wed, 06 August 2008 00:28 UTC]

Re: blender and cm centiemeters [message #654 is a reply to message #645 ] Wed, 06 August 2008 07:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
thx

i type s and just put 1 and hit enter..

next i type n i get Transfrom properties

scalex,y,z : -2.062
dimx,y,z: 4.124

what does this say these values?
Re: blender and cm centiemeters [message #732 is a reply to message #654 ] Fri, 08 August 2008 00:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar andre.bois  is currently offline andre.bois
Go to my shop
dimx,y,z: 4.124 means that your object is a bit more that 4 units in width, length, height.
Shapeways now allows to select if your units are millimeters or meters or inches.
Re: blender and cm centiemeters [message #752 is a reply to message #732 ] Fri, 08 August 2008 14:37 UTC Go to previous message
Go to all my models
oke i understand now.. i just use the dim for my 8mm

Previous Topic:Weird Rendering
Next Topic:Part 3: Configurations & Modular Design