Home » Support » 3D Applications » Too thin, too many shells- Revit>stl>blender>here
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Too thin, too many shells- Revit>stl>blender>here [message #11038] Tue, 23 March 2010 02:37 UTC Go to next message
avatar phoulx  is currently offline phoulx
Go to all my models
Hi all-

OK, my cute little experiment has now become a thorn in my side. I've got a model of a steel framed building that I would like printed. The original software is an architectural program (Revit) which will export to stl but it's really intended to create building plans not plastic models. I can fatten up my wall thickness to some degree in Revit but now I'm also seeing a "non fixable 800 shells" error. Before Mesh Medic was introduced, I could not even upload the whole model. The building walls and foundations were non-manifold even though they were solids to Revit. With Mesh Medic, I can at least upload the model but it does not pass further tests and is canceled.

Can the shell problem be easily addressed with Blender? I'm not to keen on learning blender for the sake of this experiment.

Thanks.
Re: Too thin, too many shells- Revit>stl>blender>here [message #11048 is a reply to message #11038 ] Tue, 23 March 2010 18:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar iguffick  is currently offline iguffick
Go to all my models
Can you put up a file?
Then we can see how bad (or not) the problem is!

Blender is hard to get started with, but it very soon becomes productive. You can get the basics by running through a few simple tutorials.

There are quite a few blender users on this forum. I'm sure most will give you help if you get stuck.

Regards,
Ian.
Re: Too thin, too many shells- Revit>stl>blender>here [message #11049 is a reply to message #11038 ] Tue, 23 March 2010 18:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva is currently online Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
I work here
Either like Ian said, or have you tried meshlab? It's a free software that can fix some manifold issues in STL's. And it's fairly easy to use.

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Too thin, too many shells- Revit>stl>blender>here [message #11078 is a reply to message #11038 ] Wed, 24 March 2010 16:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Here's is a portion of my stl file directly exported from Revit. These walls are the big problem. Inverted Normals, Bad Edges and Shells like crazy.

Re: Too thin, too many shells- Revit>stl>blender>here [message #11079 is a reply to message #11038 ] Wed, 24 March 2010 17:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I work here
Hmmm wow, it has missaligned sheets everywhere, can you put up a dwg? maybe it'll do a better job with that...

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Too thin, too many shells- Revit>stl>blender>here [message #11086 is a reply to message #11038 ] Wed, 24 March 2010 19:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Here's a dwg too. This even has a bit of the steel framing for a little better idea of what I'm after. I've sent it to Autodesk also and they're taking a look at it.

• Attachment: CATtwo.dwg
    (Size: 1.10MB, Downloaded 145 time(s))

Re: Too thin, too many shells- Revit>stl>blender>here [message #11092 is a reply to message #11038 ] Wed, 24 March 2010 20:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar iguffick  is currently offline iguffick
Go to all my models
Hi,

The STL imported into Blender, and needed a 'Remove Doubles' to join duplicate vertices.

You have LOTS of extra internal faces, just about every join in a wall would need fixing.

As an example, the section highlighted in this picture has 6 extra faces.

index.php?t=getfile&id=3052&private=0

Once you select the faces and delete them the model seems mostly manifold. But there are so many of these, you will be there some time!

I don't know if MeshLab or AccuTrans will be of any help in removing these extra faces?

Regards,
Ian.

Re: Too thin, too many shells- Revit>stl>blender>here [message #11095 is a reply to message #11038 ] Thu, 25 March 2010 00:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Thanks for taking a look. That's exactly what I was seeing and thought I was misunderstanding it. I hope Autodesk can give me a clue before I jump in with Blender. I'll keep you posted.
Re: Too thin, too many shells- Revit>stl>blender>here [message #11102 is a reply to message #11038 ] Thu, 25 March 2010 12:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I work here
It appears that Revit doesn't have a Boolean Join operation? I think if you joined all the solids before export, that would help a lot. Everything else pretty much the same as iguffick said. I wouldn't know how in Blender, but the way I was thinking about doing it (would take a while but should work) is to go through and stitch all the surfaces into individual solids and join them like Revit should have.

The Mad Moder
michael@shapeways.com
Re: Too thin, too many shells- Revit>stl>blender>here [message #13355 is a reply to message #11102 ] Thu, 03 June 2010 16:32 UTC Go to previous message
avatar EricFinley  is currently offline EricFinley
Go to my shop
In my experience NetFabb is pretty good at dealing with things like this. Do it following a Remove Doubles operation in Blender, although in my experience all STL files imported into Blender need that anyway (at least with 2.49b's built-in STL importer).

Previous Topic:how do i print in color with solid works 2009
Next Topic:3dsmax Plugin