Well, Hello There.

Discussion in 'Newcomers Lounge' started by mvezza, Dec 3, 2014.

1. mvezza
    mvezza Member
    Hey there - been viewing Shapeways on/off for sometime before I decided really get involved.

1) What brings you to Shapeways?
    When I was first introduced to 3D modeling - back in my days of first fooling around with Ray Dream Studio and Poser - it never entered my mind the possibility of turning computer generated models into physical objects. Never occurred to me. Suffice to say I've been deeply fascinated with the possibilities it presents - from printing organs to car engines to bric a brac. I'm largely self taught - and that goes with a lot of things in my life; photography, the piano, most things involving my job. I learn better that way.

What brought me to Shapeways? It's a creative outlet. I want to create beautiful and unusual things - currently jewelry at the moment but I hope to expand that into home decor. I believe that while the ordinary can be extraordinary (the subject of most of my photography.) I want to create pieces that are extraordinary but I also believe in simplicity. Things don't need to be overly intricate to be impactful.

2) Where are you from?
    New Jersey, born and raised.

3) What are your interests or hobbies that you plan on using Shapeways for?
    I consider myself more of a photographer than a 3D modeler. I've had an interested in 3D modeling since I was ten - this goes back to the '90's when my first experience with "3D" gaming was 7th Guest and Shivers. It grew from there.

4) Your software (Don't have one? Look here for a list of known compatible software!)
    Blender. I know when I mention it elicits a lot of hisses from people but for me it's been the easiest to learn and use. The whole being free thing is nice, too.

5) Your experience level
    Frighteningly self taught but have this insatiable appetite to learn. I've been learning since Ray Dream Studio, through Poser, through Maya, Milkshape, Sketchup, Unreal Engine, and probably other things I've completely forgotten at this point. I'm rough around the edges.

I've currently set up my shop here and I already have a few designs up - truthfully I don't expect a whole lot of sales - I just wanted to create beautiful and unusual things - and I highly doubt some of them might survive the printing process. We won't know until we try, I suppose.

I look forward to growing with this community over the coming months!

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    Welcome,

There are a large number of Blender users here, so no hissing.

Good luck!