Painting (brushing) Detailed Plastic

Discussion in 'Finishing Techniques' started by SpideyPlanet, Nov 28, 2014.

1. SpideyPlanet
    SpideyPlanet Member
    Hi,
    I just came from an airbrush artist that brushed models I had printed in White Strong and Flexible and White Detail. The paint holds extremely well on WSF, but not at all on white detail. For my models the detailed plastic is my preferred option. Does anyone know what paint/primer holds best to this material, and how to prepare the model for painting? Thanks!

2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Detail Plastic is an acrylic material probably similar in properties to the "Frosted Ultra Detail (FUD)" you may be more likely to find post-processing tips for (due to its higher resolution making it more attractive for scale models). I would expect any paint suitable for acrylics to work well - use the forum Search function (the one next to the "Private Messaging" link, not the shop search field at the top of the page) to find out more.
    It could simply be that your Detail part was not cleaned/degreased sufficiently before painting - the process uses a waxy support material, and parts shipped by shapeways sometimes carry some residue of either the wax or some solvent used in its removal.

3. SpideyPlanet
    SpideyPlanet Member
    Thanks for the tips! Yes, I read the detail plastic models need more preparation because of the wax. Apart from that I think it's best if I just experiment with all kinds of acrylic paints and see which holds best :)