Home » Community » Post Production Techniques » Using WSF for Resin casting?
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Using WSF for Resin casting? [message #10706] Fri, 12 March 2010 19:31 UTC Go to next message
avatar SBMiniaturesGuy  is currently offline SBMiniaturesGuy
Go to my shop
Greetings,
Just getting started on a project and would like to know if WSF is suitable for making molds for resin casting. Has anyone had experience with that? The description under the material claims "SLS is not suitable for molding." What do they mean by that??

http://www.shapeways.com/materials/white_strong_flexible

Thanks in advance for your replies.
-John-
Re: Using WSF for Resin casting? [message #10709 is a reply to message #10706 ] Fri, 12 March 2010 21:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar TomZ  is currently offline TomZ
Go to my shop
The SLS material is very porous. This means that if you make a mould from it, removing the master from the freshly cast pattern will be difficult and the mould will deteriorate quickly from casting because the surface is so rough.
You could make it suitable by sealing and sanding the model prior to making the mould though. But that's a lot of work, so maybe using one of the detail materials would be a better idea.
Re: Using WSF for Resin casting? [message #10710 is a reply to message #10706 ] Fri, 12 March 2010 21:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar SBMiniaturesGuy  is currently offline SBMiniaturesGuy
Go to my shop
Which material would be better, the White or the Dark detail, or would the Grey Robust be better still?
Re: Using WSF for Resin casting? [message #10790 is a reply to message #10706 ] Mon, 15 March 2010 21:01 UTC Go to previous message
avatar TomZ  is currently offline TomZ
Go to my shop
I don't think white or dark detail are all that different, both are quite suitable for resin casting I believe.
Grey Robust might work, but the level of detail and smoothness it can achieve is limited. The printing scan lines are very visible in grey robust.

Previous Topic:Painting Alumide
Next Topic:Sanding and finishing for resin casting