How do you get hooks for your earrings?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by reBrain, Nov 21, 2014.

1. reBrain
    reBrain Member
    Hello,
    I have a series of earring models. How do you do to add the hooks?
    I would prefer if the earrings were directly shipper from shapeways to
    the buyers instead of getting them sent to me just to add the earring
    hooks... How do you people do with your earring designs?
    thank you!!

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    We used to offer hooks, but we don't anymore. Hopefully we will one day again.

3. reBrain
    reBrain Member
    thank you !

so the only solution is to ship the 3d models to me, add the earring hooks, and ship them to the buyers ?
    ...3D printing hooks would be silly, I imagine...

best,
    roberto

4. Roberto, I offer free earring hooks to my customers in the U.S. On the sales page, I ask them to forward the receipt of their purchase to me along with their mailing address, and I ship them separately. They simply have to assemble the hook to the earring.

I keep a bunch of hooks on hand. They are really cheap, so by adding $4-5 to the asking price of the earrings on Shapeways, the hooks + shipping is covered.

I don't sell very many earrings so this isn't much extra work for me. It would be nice if Shapeways offered us the option of adding hooks for an extra $5 or so. I'd definitely go for it!

5. JoyComplex
    JoyComplex Active Member
    Shipping and installing or shipping the hook directly to the customer are the only two ways right now - short of integrating a drop hook or a stud into teh design.

To help customers install the hooks I made a video showing them how easy it is. That way they don't get worried about buying earrings with no hooks!