A few rings I've been working on

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by LukeHarding, Nov 16, 2014.

1. LukeHarding
    LukeHarding Member
    photo-3.JPG IMG_6691.PNG IMG_6683.PNG IMG_6164.jpg

just a few rings I've been working on and wanted to share :) let me know what you think

2. LukeHarding
    LukeHarding Member
    any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

3. aimeemoyer
    aimeemoyer Shapeways Employee Ecommerce Team
    Oh! These are great! Can't quite see that 2nd one... but I love the last one! I'm a big fan of stacking rings, and these all look thin enough to make a neat combo with.

4. LukeHarding
    LukeHarding Member
    thanks! I'm experimenting with taking better photos of the second one, its a complete pain to get the right angle and lighting on haha

5. vfxguy
    vfxguy Member
    The rings look great. But like aimeemoyer said, I can't make out much of the details from this distance. Closer photos would let us appreciate the details better.

6. LukeHarding
    LukeHarding Member
    IMG_6701.JPG

I've been trying to take more square on photos like the one I've attached to this but I'll try and get some closer up ones too.

7. aimeemoyer
    Oh, better!!

I hear you, photos are super hard - I'm sure there's a few people who will chime in to help. I know I've seen some suggestions in other forum posts. You can search the forum by keyword or I'll try to see if I can find a few :)

8. LukeHarding
    LukeHarding Member
    thanks! I'll definitely have a look. Photos can either be really annoying or really good I'm finding, though its fun finding ways to demonstrate products better

9. numarul7
    numarul7 Well-Known Member
    Like this ?

IMG_6701.JPG

10. LukeHarding
    LukeHarding Member
    yes thats definitely one of the frustrating ones.

11. Leander
    Leander Member
    The rings are beautiful, especially the last one!

I was going to say that I like your pictures. For the fact that you don't only use white backgrounds but also marble and leather and wood. The first black and white picture on wood is superb.
    I just recently posted my photographing method in a jewelry forum, because there was a discussion also.

Unfortunately is it a german forum but here is the post in english:

First you need a surrounding / studio. I learned this from CAD rendering. The surrounding can be anything, but I prefer a white / grey one that is bright:
    [​IMG]

This gives good lighnting. For reflective surfaces, that jewelry has, just a room in the background always creates unwanted shades and reflections.

You can also experiment. If you take a dark surrounding with white highlights on it (imagine white squared that simulate windows), something like this might be the outcome:
    [​IMG]
    The contrast is much higher.

Finally it is important to use the flash, at least that's my experience. No matter how good the lighting of the room is, without flashing light the pictures are always kind of washed and blured. However using a flash sometimes results in to much reflection and overexposure, especially for close ups. That is why this trick has worked very well for me:
    [​IMG]

I infact just stuck a piece of normal paper in front of the light. It is important that it has a parallel orientation to the light. Otherwise it might create an anoying shadow. Other than that it can really be that simple. Now the flashlight still goes through, but its smoother.

I hope you find the time to try these things out, if you want.

Regards

Leander

Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  12. LukeHarding
    LukeHarding Member
    Leander,

Thank you for your tips, it definitely makes it a lot easier for me! and thank you for the compliments :)

Luke.

13. aimeemoyer
    Oh I love this community :) So glad you found some photography help!

I also featured you in the most recent 3DPrintspiration email :) Keep up the great work!

14. LukeHarding
    LukeHarding Member
    thanks for the feature! :)