Watermarks

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by Azza_Ku, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Azza_Ku
    Azza_Ku Member
    Hi,

I'd like to suggest the ability to add Shapeways watermarks to renders and uploaded images. While doing a reverse image search on some of my images, I noticed that several blogs, articles, and sites in Russia and China that claim to have 3d printing services are showing these images along with other Shapeways users images. None of these pages have any links to Shapeways and I believe a watermark may help steer traffic our way.

Soon I will be replacing my images with a self made watermark and on a side note I plan on downloading the renders and reuploading them with watermarks after darkening the shadows a little as the renders are a bit light.

-Aaron

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  2. DBTops
    DBTops Well-Known Member
    Good idea,

To expand a little bit, if this was implemented I would like to see the water mark be custom to each user. Uploaded just like the shop logo is but with a few options for placement over the render, size, and hopefully some control over opacity. To have my logo displayed in the corner of every product would be fantastic, I think it would inspire more trust from a customer and lead to a lot more first time buyers. Other artists worried about protecting their designs from copyright should certainly have the ability to overlay the watermark/logo.

Thanks for the good Idea Azza_Ku, lets hope some one else likes it too.

3. MrNib
    MrNib Well-Known Member
    This won't make the original Shapeways renders go away. Anything you upload will be treated like a new photo. You can't replace the old renders with new ones.

4. DBTops
    DBTops Well-Known Member
    Is there no option to hide the shapeways material renders? That's surprising.

5. drloris
    drloris Well-Known Member
    There does seem to be the option - it's called "Hide Material Renders" on the Sell tab. It must be shop-wide, and apparently doesn't remove the plain grey render.

6. DBTops
    DBTops Well-Known Member
    By golly! You're a genius!

7. MrNib
    MrNib Well-Known Member
    I would prefer a bit more flexibility than a store-wide setting! A followup question is if you disable the renders for the display store-wide are they still generated within a model so you can modify and repost them with watermarks? I suppose you could set up a fake store just to get the renders, and then import them into your real store with the site-wide disable.