How to sand off a few micro meters from my Stainless still model.

Discussion in 'Finishing Techniques' started by 621462_deleted, Oct 22, 2014.

1. model.JPG

Hi,

I have received my model. Its made of a main part (mobius half torus) and several smaller parts (hollow spheres) that need to fit inside the main part. The model is made of stainless still with matte bronze and matte gold finishes. The spheres are a bit too big to fit into the torus and I need to grind them a bit (I hope that quarter of a mm will be enough). What is the best way to grind a stainless still model (I don't have special equipment in my home, only sand paper and similar) and will there be any consequences to the finish, i.e. will it damage the bronze finish?

Thanks in advance,
    Amit

2. 20201_deleted
    20201_deleted Member
    A dremel tool and a ball shaped sintered diamond burr would do this job nicely. "Hand sanding" = long, frustrating hours of work. Yes, either method will remove the finish.

3. stop4stuff
    stop4stuff Well-Known Member
    Depending on the thickness of the printed mobius half torus, it may be possible to physically adjust the part by means of force... i.e. use a bit of leverage to open up the gaps a tad. You can see an example on my video at http://youtu.be/ztIT9c9PeXU - go to 2:20 to see what I mean about leverage.

Paul