Inkscape Help

Discussion in 'Design and Modeling' started by PhilsThings, Oct 13, 2014.

1. PhilsThings
    PhilsThings Member
    I am extremely new to 3d modeling, so please excuse my complete lack of knowledge and terminology. I am in need of some help with my current 3d model.

In Inkscape I created a vector image using the bezier tool to the exact dimensions that I wish my 3d print to be. I am now trying to convert this 2d vector image into a 3d one, but I cannot figure it out. I have tried exporting the .svg image from inkscape to blender, from there exporting that to a .dae file. Then I tried importing the .dae file into sketchup (the program I am more versed in, thus wanting it to end up in sketchup), but when I try to import the .dae file into sketchup it says "cant open empty components". Does anyone have any solutions to this? Or possibly another way to take an Inkscape vector and getting it into sketchup?

Any help would be great, thanks.

-Phil

2. MrNib
    MrNib Well-Known Member
    If you want to try using Tinkercad it will import .svg files to create a 3D version.

3. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
  4. PhilsThings
    PhilsThings Member
    Thank you both for the suggestions, but alas I can still not get it to work. Maybe a better description would help in a successful endeavor. More or less, I have a rectangle with some curved lines on it, and need to have a three part extrusions (by that I mean, I need to make my design three different specific heights). I had hoped to take my inkscape image and put it in sketchup, to use the push/pull tool and extrude the specific parts up to the proper height. I tried the provided plugin, and while I was able to successfully get it open in sketchup, I was not able to do anything with it. Rather is was just an outline, and not an actual object in which I could use the push/pull tool.

Thoughts?

5. JACANT
    JACANT Well-Known Member
    As I said you may have to delete a couple of the lines then redraw them, for Sketchup to create a face that you can extrude.
    I could look at it for you if you sent it by PM

DXF import.png

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  6. Phil, the imported DXF might also be a 'group' in Sketchup, so you'll want explode the group to work with it: Right Click > Explode

7. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    Depending on exactly what you are trying to achieve maybe the Shapeways 2d to 3d tool can help.

From memory, you import a greyscale image where the shade corresponds to depth. You specify the overall thickness and then the shades of grey are proportions of that from black = 100% thickness and white = 0.

8. PhilsThings
    PhilsThings Member
    Thanks for all the input fellas. I went ahead and remodeled it in illustrator, and was then able to import the dxf into sketchup. As one of you mentioned, I did have to delete a few lines, but everything work beautifully.

Thanks again

-Phil