Our Gift to You: 20% off your own designs in Strong & Flexible Plastic through Dec 23, with promo code MY2014 · details
Home » Community » It arrived! » Inclusions 2, the return.
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Inclusions 2, the return. [message #10379] Tue, 02 March 2010 22:18 UTC Go to next message
avatar Magic  is currently offline Magic
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
Do you remember the Inclusions model I discussed in this topic?
As it was very successful (I sold 2 of them Very Happy ), and most of all, as I like geometrical shapes, I decided to try a different design.

In the first version, there was a wireframed tetrahedron with inside an wireframed octahedron, and then the rest of the model was inside this octahedron.

In this version instead, I let the octahedron empty. I take advantage of the fact that, by adding this octahedron, there are 4 smaller tetrahedra that are formed to re-iterate the process: I add one smaller octahedron in each of the 4 small tetrahedra. And I go on this process recursively.
The result is very close from the Sierpinski pyramid.
index.php?t=getfile&id=2849&private=0

But I think it is more 3D-printing friendly than the traditional modelling, because instead of removing matter (which can lead to very small sections), I am adding structures (so the model is sturdier and sturdier). Someone from Shapeways' team, correct me if I am wrong...

Note that you can just print approximation of a fractal object. This one is perhaps less faithful than the traditional ones (it is between a level 4 and an level 5, I think), but it prints, and - in my opinion - it has still a very aesthetical structure.
Here are some more pictures:
index.php?t=getfile&id=2850&private=0
index.php?t=getfile&id=2851&private=0

I have done 2 versions one big and one small (more affordable). You can see both of them in this picture (the previous pictures show the big one):
index.php?t=getfile&id=2852&private=0

I also tried to do a Menger Sponge with the same idea, but my PC refused to process it Confused. I will try with less polygons, or less iterations.

[Updated on: Tue, 02 March 2010 23:02 UTC]

Re: Inclusions 2, the return. [message #10392 is a reply to message #10379 ] Wed, 03 March 2010 11:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar tones3-d  is currently offline tones3-d
Go to my shop
This is a delight; much visual exploration is possible as lines of sight change.
Re: Inclusions 2, the return. [message #10534 is a reply to message #10392 ] Sun, 07 March 2010 09:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
Thanks Tones-3D.
See the video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYjwTfObZLQ
Re: Inclusions 2, the return. [message #11111 is a reply to message #10534 ] Thu, 25 March 2010 20:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
The Alumide version arrived!
index.php?t=getfile&id=3067&private=0
Looks really great (and it's easier to take picture of the model by the way Very Happy )

• Attachment: Incl_Alu.JPG
    (Size: 52.00KB, Downloaded 766 time(s))

Re: Inclusions 2, the return. [message #12923 is a reply to message #11111 ] Mon, 17 May 2010 15:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Wahtah  is currently offline Wahtah
Go to my shop
Could you tell me what software you used to create this? From the fact that the Menger sponge didn't work, is it possibly a scripted object in Art of Illusion?
Re: Inclusions 2, the return. [message #12943 is a reply to message #12923 ] Mon, 17 May 2010 18:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
No, there was no script (just scaled copy and paste Smile).
It was done with 3DS Max.
The main issue is my laptop computer. It is so old that it is no more able to deal with the videos taken by my new camera...
Second issue is probably that I did not take care of the number of faces and with fractal objects you can reach oversized numbers very quickly... Very Happy
Re: Inclusions 2, the return. [message #12949 is a reply to message #12943 ] Mon, 17 May 2010 19:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Respect Cool !

I tried the Menger cube (cage style) with a script in AoI but it kept crashing when i tried to union two cylinders at right angles. A little random jittering fixed it, but I still couldn't get to a nice depth, so I gave up...

Well, let's hope you sell enough of your models to buy a new laptop! Or are you your own best client like I guess most of us are Smile
Re: Inclusions 2, the return. [message #12952 is a reply to message #12949 ] Mon, 17 May 2010 20:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
Thanks Smile
Unfortunately I am also my best client (well, not necessarly the easiest one, I confess Twisted Evil)
But changing computers is part of the plan anyway. The question is when...

This being said, I want to try to add some extra bits to Inclusions 2 to have a true level 5 Sierpinsky pyramid approximation. So perhaps I will take this opportunity to give a new try to the Menger sponge but I will be more careful this time.
What level would be acceptable? Could a level 3 Menger sponge be enough attractive?

Thank you for your support!
Re: Inclusions 2, the return. [message #12961 is a reply to message #12952 ] Tue, 18 May 2010 13:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I'd say 3 would be the least, there's already a level 2 on shapeways. I've been doing some calculations, you should be careful with the price, it may turn out very expensive. For every level you add, you remove only 26% of the material/price. So you should start with a small cube (3-4 cm?), but then you reach your minimum detail size quite soon...

Looking forward to what you come up with Smile
Re: Inclusions 2, the return. [message #12962 is a reply to message #12961 ] Tue, 18 May 2010 13:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
The good thing with fractals is that they have a volume of 0
Laughing Laughing Laughing

So many things to design, so little time...
Re: Inclusions 2, the return. [message #12964 is a reply to message #12962 ] Tue, 18 May 2010 13:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Razz very funny! I'll send you a couple of those for free...
Re: Inclusions 2, the return. [message #12980 is a reply to message #12964 ] Tue, 18 May 2010 19:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
Actually, there are already a level 2 (1.8cm) at $7.74, a level 3 (10cm) at $727.30 and a level 4 (7.6cm=3") at $217.77, so I will aim a level 4.

The number 7 in the price seems to be important, I will also study that... Very Happy

[Updated on: Tue, 18 May 2010 19:21 UTC]

Re: Inclusions 2, the return. [message #12990 is a reply to message #12980 ] Wed, 19 May 2010 07:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
If only Menger could have figured out the copyright on something that doesn't really exist and is a copy of itself.

Speaking of copyright, the reason I found your posting in the first place is that I had just ordered my own Sierpinski tetrahedron, and I wanted to see what was already here. Actually, I think mine has 1 level more Twisted Evil

But the payment went through on monday so I'm still waiting how it will turn out...
Re: Inclusions 2, the return. [message #13047 is a reply to message #12990 ] Thu, 20 May 2010 18:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Shapeways Crew
No problem. I have no copyright on the Sierpinsky pyramid nor the sphere nor the cube Smile
For the Menger sponge, in theory, with my method I can only reach level 3 (because of the limitation on the number of polygons). Unfortunately, even this is unreachable with the tools I am using from 3DS Max (Lattice or Sweep) because the volumes must be closed and this extra faces are too numerous... I will try to find a different method later...

Please let us see your work when it arrives!

Regards,

Magic.
Re: Inclusions 2, the return. [message #13321 is a reply to message #13047 ] Tue, 01 June 2010 20:55 UTC Go to previous message
Go to my shop
It's here!

http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=2653&a mp;start=0&S=d90322c64631499aded07be7b424eb5b

Previous Topic:Giglanoiz has arrived
Next Topic:Mini Dino Cube Puzzles

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.