-X -Y -Z Axes

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Feedback' started by Bobbiethejean, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Bobbiethejean
    Bobbiethejean Well-Known Member
    I realize this will probably be lost in all the hullabaloo with the pricing changes on WSF and Steel but I figure it wouldn't hurt to ask. The inclusion of allowing the selection of orientation along the XY and Z axes is awesome but it would be even more awesome if we could have -X -Y and -Z as well. I end up with quite a few models that show SWs renders as being upside-down such as this one: https://www.shapeways.com/model/1925270/bjp-pendulum-heart-p endant.html?materialId=86

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I've already suggested ;-)

3. Bobbiethejean
    Oh sweet! :) How awesome of you. Hopefully, when all the dust clears, eventually, we will get this feature. It's not a deal breaker or anything but it would be nice to have. I just noticed this thing is stuck entirely backwards in all of its SWs preview renders https://www.shapeways.com/model/1883637/bjp-eye-of-the-behol der.html?materialId=60. :p I'm going to have to lay it flat on its back or side for now. So here's hoping.

Again, thanks. :)

Hey, while I've got your ear..... would it be difficult/impossible for SWs to allow us to freely determine the position of the SWs renders? Like.... ya know how ya get that little grappling hook dealy and you can rotate the preview model around? Why not let us choose the angle of SW renders freely? That would be friggen glorious. :D

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
  4. Youknowwho4eva
    Yea I had a model, that through imports and exports and imports and exports came out upside down.

You mean like a free rotate?

I also don't like having to wait for them to generate to change it.

5. Bobbiethejean
    I feel bad pestering you like this. ^__^; I realize you've probably got your hands VERY full at the moment but yeah, free-rotate. That way we could exactly frame our models as we want. That would be awesome but -x -y -z would be good too.

6. Bobbiethejean
    Hey, sorry to keep poking ya but I have a question and I figured I'd ask it here rather than starting a whole new post since it's tangentially related. Does SWs print models based on the original upload orientation, the user-defined orientation, or does SW decide on its own which way to orient a model?

7. MrNib
    MrNib Well-Known Member
    A -Z would result in a mirroring about the XY axis. More appropriately a 180 degree rotate option would be needed.

8. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    SW picks orientation. And can change from one print to the next print of the same item.

9. Youknowwho4eva
    What Stannum said. It's set up by the operator.