Home » Support » 3D Applications » To all 3ds max users: Turbo-/Meshsmooth causes non-manifolds???
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
To all 3ds max users: Turbo-/Meshsmooth causes non-manifolds??? [message #10375] Tue, 02 March 2010 21:42 UTC Go to next message
avatar Laserschwert  is currently offline Laserschwert
Go to all my models
Has anybody else noticed this? I simply don't understand it... I have a perfectly fine character model, which is quite lowres. I can upload it, and it gets no errors. As soon as I add a Smoothing modifier (no matter if it's Meshsmooth or Turbosmooth) the object gets a "non-manifold"-error when uploaded.

The model consists mostly of quads (but even if it didn't, it shouldn't get non manifold, right?)
Re: To all 3ds max users: Turbo-/Meshsmooth causes non-manifolds??? [message #10396 is a reply to message #10375 ] Wed, 03 March 2010 15:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Eeppium  is currently offline Eeppium
Go to my shop
I had similar problem with blender´s subsurface modifier.
the ss. stretched the verts radically and showed up as non manifold. blender and meshlab didn´t see any problems with the mesh, but when i send the file to shapeways, they returned with a pic showing the errors.
they apparently used Netfabb for finding the errors.

i got rid of the problem by adding vert loops near the twisted areas.

the area looked bit like this:
index.php?t=getfile&id=2854&private=0

• Attachment: verts.jpg
    (Size: 16.45KB, Downloaded 580 time(s))

Re: To all 3ds max users: Turbo-/Meshsmooth causes non-manifolds??? [message #10397 is a reply to message #10375 ] Wed, 03 March 2010 16:21 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I use it all the time without problems.

The only problems I had were with relatively low-vertex corners (compared to the rest of the model) and hard creases/folds.
Both have as effect that the mesh will start overlapping inside/outside or loop in on itself.

If you want, PM me the low-res max-file, and I'll see if I can try to find a cause for your problems

Stijn

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: To all 3ds max users: Turbo-/Meshsmooth causes non-manifolds??? [message #10408 is a reply to message #10397 ] Wed, 03 March 2010 19:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Laserschwert  is currently offline Laserschwert
Go to all my models
I have made some progress:

I think the error lies in max's Collada-exporter. When Turbosmoothing the model and exporting it as Collada, the upload at Shapeways give's me errors. But: The error(s) can't be seen in Shapeways' "error-viewer" (i.e. nothing is red).

Importing the Collada model in Meshlab doesn't show any non-manifold faces or edges, but non-manifold vertices... lots of them, all over the model. They can easily be fixed in there, but that's not even necessary, because I've found out another thing:

Exporting from 3dsmax as Wavefront OBJ results in a clean mesh... Meshlab doesn't find any errors. And when exporting that mesh from Meshlab as STL, I can upload it to Shapeways without problems.

That's a huge step forward, but I still have a problem: I want to do a full-color print and my model uses three different texture-maps. Unfortunately Meshlab only supports one texture per model (and I'm not even getting a hang of how to work with textures in Meshlab at all). I guess I have to get some other tool to export my textured model to VRML or X3D...

[Updated on: Wed, 03 March 2010 19:04 UTC]

Re: To all 3ds max users: Turbo-/Meshsmooth causes non-manifolds??? [message #10486 is a reply to message #10408 ] Fri, 05 March 2010 20:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar virtox  is currently offline virtox
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
? 3D Max exports STL and VRML just fine ?
No need for meshlab there ?

- Artist / Engineer / Designer / Shopowner / Volunteer / Moderator -
Re: To all 3ds max users: Turbo-/Meshsmooth causes non-manifolds??? [message #13099 is a reply to message #10486 ] Sat, 22 May 2010 23:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pior  is currently offline pior
Go to all my models
To avoid such thin areas, make sure that your model is mostly made of quads, and that the edge flow makes sense (mostly grid-like).

As for export, yup VRML is all you need. Just dont look for it in "export selection", its not there. It's in "export" (I guess because VRML is a scene format?) There is an option to export only the selected object from the exporter window itself IIRC.

Dont forget to put the precisison to the max in the VRML settings ; if not, your model will have small bumps once exported.

[Updated on: Sat, 22 May 2010 23:02 UTC]

Re: To all 3ds max users: Turbo-/Meshsmooth causes non-manifolds??? [message #13107 is a reply to message #10375 ] Sun, 23 May 2010 04:35 UTC Go to previous message
avatar WelshDesigns  is currently offline WelshDesigns
Go to my shop
I see meshsmooth creating problems all the time, when something has a shape prone to curves crossing each other. the straight lines of a poly model might be fine, but when you do meshsmooth curves come into play to "smooth" the object. Play around with Nurbs, Quad and classic as they are all different. BTW, make sure to watch the textures, they WILL move around, so depending on the maping, texture joints, or edges may provide undesirable results. And export a VRML, it works fine with multiple textures, just be aware it's probalby going to export in meters no matter what you tell it to do. Smile so you may have to scale your model right before export to meters size, then export.

Previous Topic:Color-Printing Problems with 3dsmax
Next Topic:"The fileformat of your object..." error message with .dae file

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.