Introducing 14k Gold, read more on the blog.
Home » Support » 3D Design » How do you fix inverted normals on rhino
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
How do you fix inverted normals on rhino [message #10339] Tue, 02 March 2010 04:11 UTC Go to next message
avatar sn888  is currently offline sn888
Go to all my models
Hi i would like to 3d print a model but i have recieved an email saying, (Your model has inverted normals in it) can someone please help me...

Re: How do you fix inverted normals on rhino [message #10341 is a reply to message #10339 ] Tue, 02 March 2010 08:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Salokannel  is currently offline Salokannel
Go to my shop

Hi!

On your tool bar there's tool with three arrows pointing up from blue surface
or you just write ANALYZE DIRECTION. Then select your object.
Now you'll see a lot of white arrows pointing from your object. Now arrows
pointing inside to your object (wrong way normals). Just press left mouse button on one arrow and it will change the direction (arrows/normal). Then enter. Now it should be alright!

Cheers,
Pekka

www.pekkasalokannel.com
www.colorsofbirch.com
Re: How do you fix inverted normals on rhino [message #10342 is a reply to message #10339 ] Tue, 02 March 2010 08:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MichielCornelissen  is currently offline MichielCornelissen
Go to my shop
Although, if your object is watertight ('closed' in rhino terms), it will always have the normals facing outward. If your stl file hasn't, it'll mean that your object wasn't closed in the rhino file (check with ShowEdges), or something somehow went wrong with the meshing part.
If it's the latter: you can do meshing directly by exporting to stl, or you can create a mesh from polysurface first ('mesh' command), and then export that mesh. In my experience, sometimes one will work where the other doesn't.

Cheers, hope that helps, Michiel

www.michielcornelissen.com
twitter: @michiel_ontwerp
Re: How do you fix inverted normals on rhino [message #10365 is a reply to message #10339 ] Tue, 02 March 2010 19:29 UTC Go to previous message
avatar aoster  is currently offline aoster
Go to all my models
Hi,
you could also just try to repair your STL files like described in
http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&goto=1009 8&#msg_10098

bye,
Alex

Previous Topic:The problem of importing from scientific imaging systems
Next Topic:Can't find Manifold Error