The DodBox

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by Magic, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    Hi all,

I received a big order today, so you will see several other posts from me here :D

The first one is about the DodBox (more info in this post). Or more exactly, it reduced scale version (1:3). It is nevertheless one of the biggest objects I ever printed.
    You can see here the versions in White Strong and Flexible (WSF) and in Transparent Detail (TD).
    DodBox1.JPG

Of course these two containers can be put one inside the other to save space when you want to store them.
    DodBox2.JPG

You can also use one othe the container as a lid for the other and they form a complete dodecahedron.
    DodBox3b.JPG

And the good news is that it worked as expected: that is it stay properly closed.
    This is because the cut in the faces are not vertical but perpendiclar to the edges (and of course because I had the chance that the clearances are correct :))
    See the details:
    DodBox3d.JPG

The other thing is that you can stack two of these closed boxes, one on top of the other. I have only two part so I just show you how they fit:
    DodBox4.JPG

There are more images in the DodBox page.

The thickness is only 1 mm and I must say that the TD version look fragile (probably I can modify the design to make it sturdier by adding "folds" like in origami). But I really like the WSF version and the overall design.
    And you, what do you think?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
  2. virtox
    virtox Active Member Moderator
    How did I miss this arrival here..

Wow, it came out awesome !
    That's one piece of clean engineering ! Wonderful !

Reminds me of a small plant incubator/biodome with that transparent lid !
    If you made an Alumide version, it would look like something they could take to Mars !

Stijn

3. joris
    joris Member
    So how big is it exactly because I can't tell from the photos?

4. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    Thanks Virtox. You are right! I absolutely need one in Alumide! (same thing for the "Inclusions 2" by the way)

Joris, I though I had additional pictures with some coins, and unfortunately it is not the case.
    So here are the figures. :D
    - The complete dodecahedron is 6.6 cm high.
    - Its vertices can be included into a sphere whose diameter is 8.3 cm.
    - The side of a pentagon is 3 cm.
    - As already said, the thickness is 1 mm.
    When closed, its size is comparable to the size of a standard Rubik's cube to give you an idea: a bit higher, and a bit less... cubic.

5. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
  6. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    I received the Alumide version of the DodBox! Now I can play with 3 halves of dodecahedron!
    See the pictures:
    Dod_Alu1.JPG
    Dod_Alu2.JPG
    Dod_Alu3.JPG

7. settinger
    settinger Member
    I really love this design, and I hope it gets picked up by a manufacturer some day!

8. Magic
    Magic Well-Known Member
    Thanks Ushanka. I am happy that you like it.
    And this design has already been picked up by Shapeways, that's not so bad! :D