Image mapping

Discussion in 'Shapeways Shops' started by Youknowwho4eva, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I was in the process of creating a image co-creator, when I thought, what if the customer could download the uv map so they knew the exact dimensions they could make their image to fit perfectly. They could even make the maps themselves to make it easier for the designer, or even for auto textureing as we've discussed before. I'd personally like to be able to attach a file to my items. Either the UV map image like mentioned here, or a pdf with post production suggestions as I've requested in the past.

2. rawkstar320
    rawkstar320 Member
    Yeah, I actually put this on my survey. More along the lines of allowing customers to download the actual model though. (probably a shapeways minimum cost plus my markup) that way they can customize objects themselves.

But anyways, I do think that a download feature of SOME sort would be useful.

3. 24996_deleted
    24996_deleted Member
    For the downloadable part, shapeways already offers the 3D parts database. I don't know what the roadmap for that is, but I don't think it is far fetched to assume it will become boiler plate functionality for all uploaded models at some point.

There's just the little problem of keeping things simply and at the same time offering us a gazillion options about what other people can do with the model ;) (Model details page is already getting a bit longish what with all the current options)

texture/UV map download option for co-creators sounds good. But since co creators are kind of meant for the less 3D modelling technical inclined as far as I know, I am not too sure if it would be a big seller. Being an amateur 3D modeller myself I find UV maps to be quite daunting. The whole 3D mapped to a 2D plane just confused my brain I guess.

But the notion of being able to supply more instructions then just plain text would be a good thing I think. I could see for instance how some images could visually explain what certain co creator variables would influence. The negative side would of course be that it means more work for the creator. Food for thought, that's for sure.

4. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    If the shop owner properly unwraps the uv map (I'm still learning) making an image to fit in isn't too difficult. When I do it I kind of do the color by number thing. I put numbers in the shapes, save it, use it as the uv map for the model, and see where each shape sits and it's orientation.