full color sandstone vs full color plastic: still sandstone for me

Discussion in 'My Shapeways Order Arrived' started by Ittyblox, Sep 13, 2014.

1. Ittyblox
    Ittyblox Member
    I am working on a model of Westminster Hall in London. The building on the left is full color plastic, on the right is full color sandstone. For now I stick with sandstone:
    FCP.jpg

2. Thanks for the photos - it's really useful to have an exact one-to-one comparison. Wow, what a difference between the two media.

...Shel M.
    NH, USA

3. numarul7
    numarul7 Well-Known Member
    Looks like FCP it is not really usable , to much color wash happening. :(

4. aRTCy
    aRTCy Member
    Dare to compare...yep looks pretty obvious.

5. Thanks for compare! Now I will use FCSS...

6. katkinkead
    katkinkead Well-Known Member
    Ah yes, FCP has a long way to go before its really a viable product..... atleast now it exists though, a few years ago it was only something to be dreamt of!

Slow progress is still progress =)

7. designsoul
    designsoul Well-Known Member
    Guys,
    The color quality is not the only unique advantage of FCP, it is the fact that it is full color and plastic that gives it unique applications. FCSS is much too brittle for many applications and even the washed pastel colors are great for many products. If the color quality is the only reason FCP has been discontinued I strongly vote for its return!

8. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Did you do any test prints back when it was available, or are you just in need of some form of non-gypsum full color material ? As far as I remember, there were problems with the thermal curing, i.e. people complaining about smelly and/or sagging prints. At around the same time, HP started putting out press releases for their upcoming and supposedly game-changing multijet fusion printer and shapeways signed up as a beta tester. It may not have been expected back then that development would take so long that secretive tests with a black-only model could start only this year, and now that Hewlett Packard Ventures is on their official list of investors it might have become harder to look for alternatives...

9. designsoul
    designsoul Well-Known Member
    Yes I do have a need, and I'm sure other developers will too, for full color plastic.
    I hope Shapeways can look into a Projet machine, the colors are quite good from what I have seen.

I will be using this printer to create a full-color puzzle and am looking for someone that has experience with it and can tell me the minimum clearance to use between separate part walls.