3D printed instrument?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 612408_deleted, Sep 3, 2014.

1. I am very interested in music and engineering, and for my senior project I wondered if they could be combined. I know how to use CAD and could model my own saxophone on it (at least the bell, could order keys for it), but I wondered if that was even possible? Has anyone made an instrument, and if so, did it work?

2. Youknowwho4eva
    Youknowwho4eva Well-Known Member
    I've seen Whistles, and a 3D printed record for a kids record player. Something like a Saxophone would not be cheap.

3. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    Maybe this thread is interesting - try searching the forums for more.

4. That thread helped, and I know it wouldn't be cheap. I'm not sure how much people know about saxophones, but you can buy plastic alto saxophones so I was wondering if a 3D printed plastic tenor would be possible. It wouldn't have to be amazing, just to see what I could make.

5. I've known about this website for a year or so, I've never ordered anything though and I wasn't sure about what 3D printers were capable of.

6. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    What I would do is find one already modeled in 3D and then scale it and give it a wall thickness and then see what the volume comes out to. You'd be using Shapeways Strong and Flexible plastic and I'd guess that it would be around 4 to5 thousand USD.

7. Is price determined by complexity or weight?

8. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    Volume of material used. Check out the Materials pages.