Material: Steel Nickel Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 225262_deleted, Aug 20, 2014.

1. I like to print out a M4 standoff to transfer 1kW power between few layers of PCBs.
    As the heights varied and having to solder them at the base+screw secure on both ends, it is either CNC or 3D print.

What I need to ask about is the material Steel Nickel in the option for available steel 3D print.
    Is this alloy a mix of nickel powder to steel powder like in the material description of Steel-Bronze? If so what is the percentage of nickel to steel?
    Or is nickel plated onto the finished steel product?

Thanks..

DT

Attached Files:

2. stannum
    stannum Well-Known Member
    Steel + bronze, then plating.

3. Thanks stannum!

4. UniverseBecoming
    UniverseBecoming Well-Known Member
    By the way, that won't print well in Shapeways Steel. The minimum recommended embossing and engraving width is 1 mm. Your standoff design has 0.525 mm embossings and engravings widths.

Not recomended for steel.jpg

You'll need to fix the file of course as the core of your male thread is missing, but this is printable in bronze or brass.

If you were not making threads I wouldn't say anything, but threads need to be fairly accurate to work properly without galling. Are you just doing a one off for a project? If so you can make your own threads that fit the guidelines along with custom screws and nuts to use with them. Another thing you can do if it's just a one off project is you use a tap and die to make your own M4 threads on the Steel printouts.

On the other other hand, why cant you just use standard female standoffs and cut them to size? :D