Home » Support » 3D Applications » Supported applications, I could use a little help
Search Search  
 () 1 Vote(s)
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #9996] Tue, 16 February 2010 15:52 UTC Go to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I've been updating our list of Supported Applications (i.e. applications that can export to STL, Collada, X3D or VRML97/2), but it's quite hard to dig up all the required information.

It would help me a LOT if you could have a look and see if I've listed your favorite app, and if my information is correct.

If there's anything I need to add or change, please let a message below.

Thanks a lot!

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #9997 is a reply to message #9996 ] Tue, 16 February 2010 16:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Youknowwho4eva  is currently offline Youknowwho4eva
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I work here
Kubotek KeyCreator has very nice STL export. 9 times out of 10 non-manifold issues are my modeling errors, no inverted normals and such. Has VRML2.0 export, but no texture support.

I should mention I use version 7.0. Not sure what has been added since.

[Updated on: Tue, 16 February 2010 16:28 UTC]

I learned a long time ago the wisest thing I can do is be on my own side, be an advocate for myself and others like me. -Maya Angelou
michael@shapeways.com Community Advocate
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #9998 is a reply to message #9996 ] Tue, 16 February 2010 17:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar fx  is currently offline fx
Go to my shop
Alibre Design native STL export works ok (I had only some little problems with very complicated parts, like railroad model boggie side flange. Though, I don't know if it was my fault or the software...), all the parts Shapeways printed for me have been created using this software. Hint: for people in the U.S. the new price for the standard version is really low...

[Updated on: Tue, 16 February 2010 18:15 UTC]

Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #10005 is a reply to message #9996 ] Wed, 17 February 2010 09:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Thanks guys! I updated the page.

Cheers,

Bart

Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #10006 is a reply to message #10005 ] Wed, 17 February 2010 10:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Dotsan  is currently offline Dotsan
Go to my shop
Hi
Rhino 3D has native stl and vrml 97 and 2
Cheers
V

www.dotsan.com

www.dotsan.com
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #10042 is a reply to message #10006 ] Fri, 19 February 2010 10:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Thanks VirtualV! List updated.

Cheers,

Bart

Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #10189 is a reply to message #10042 ] Thu, 25 February 2010 05:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Mark_Kendrick  is currently offline Mark_Kendrick
Go to my shop
Solid Edge can save as stl, until today Shocked I had only had one problem with it in over perhaps 100 files now.
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #10194 is a reply to message #10189 ] Thu, 25 February 2010 12:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi Mark,

what do you mean with 'until today'? Maybe I'm a little dense, so please help me out Wink

Bart

Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #10529 is a reply to message #9996 ] Sun, 07 March 2010 04:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar jimfoltz  is currently offline jimfoltz
Go to all my models
Hi Bart,

The latest version of Google SketchUp is version 7.1 and comes in Free and Pro versions.

The only officially supported 3d export format for Google (free) SketchUp is COLLADA. SketchUp's COLLADA exporter supports textures, but apparently shapeways' COLLADA reader does not (yet?)

There are 3rd party, free .obj and .stl exporters available as plug-ins which work on both the Free and Pro versions. I can't say how well they work.

The Pro version supports several export formats:

* 3DS (.3ds)
* AutoCAD DWG (.dwg)
* AutoCAD DXF (.dxf)
* COLLADA (.dae)
* FBX (.fbx).
* OBJ (.obj)
* XSI (.xsi)
* VRML (.vrml)

I have been able to upload (simple) models directly from SketchUp Pro using its .dae exporter.

I have also been able to export full-color via .dae -> Meshlab -> .wrl work-flow.

There seems to be a limit of a single texture in this workflow, is that correct? Is it a limitation in the vrml format, or is there some other reason?

An ideal work-flow for SketchUp would obviously be export to .dae, make a .zip including the textures, and upload. (A more ideal work-flow would be to upload directly from SketchUp via a plug-in using the Shapeways API.)

Unfortunately, SketchUp puts the texture images in a sub-folder relative to the .dae file, so there may be some extra work in making a .zip for upload. (Plus the texture url in the .dae file is the full path, rather than a relative one.) What would be involved in automating this after the upload to streamline the work-flow?

I would guess other folks would like to be able to cut-out the Meshlab step and go from their modeller -> .dae -> Shapeways.

I also noticed my "upright" models in SketchUp are "end-up" in the Shapeways preview image unless I rotate my model -90 degrees about the X axis in SU before exporting. It would be nice if Shapeways detected this.

Here's shot of the COLLADA export options in SketchUp so you can see what user have to work with.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_ogonR-k5OoM/S5Mu35zxpsI/AAAAAAAAPo0/1lMP86MxSzY/s800/270.jpg

Finally, I hope this helps, and think it's remarkable what you guys (Shapeways) have been able to accomplish so far.

[Updated on: Sun, 07 March 2010 05:06 UTC]

Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #10543 is a reply to message #9996 ] Sun, 07 March 2010 16:40 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar magic2002  is currently offline magic2002
Go to my shop
i have just installed Autocad 2010 and found it has an export option for 3d printing. It is exporting as .stl
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #10554 is a reply to message #10543 ] Mon, 08 March 2010 10:35 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
@jimfoltz, magic2002: thanks! I've updated the table.

@jimfoltz: you are correct - for now we only support textures in VRML and X3D files. These files *can* contain multiple texture map files, but they cannot overlap. So for example you can't use decal textures or multi-layer textures.

Cheers,

Bart

[Updated on: Mon, 08 March 2010 10:40 UTC]

Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #10564 is a reply to message #10554 ] Mon, 08 March 2010 18:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar jimfoltz  is currently offline jimfoltz
Go to all my models
Is there any way to validate the vrml export from SketchUp?

Inspecting the .wrl file shows all textures listed, but neither Meshlab nor accutrans import them as expected.

I've attached a simple cube which has 2 materials in SketchUp.

• Attachment: 2color.zip
    (Size: 1.54KB, Downloaded 344 time(s))

[Updated on: Mon, 08 March 2010 18:25 UTC]

Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #10572 is a reply to message #10564 ] Tue, 09 March 2010 12:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi jimfoltz,

please don't use this thread for support questions. I did check out your model though and it loads fine into MeshLab for me. I can also upload it to the website and see it in my gallery. So I'm not sure what the issue is?

Please start a new thread if you need further help.

Cheers,

Bart

Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #11040 is a reply to message #10194 ] Tue, 23 March 2010 05:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Mark_Kendrick  is currently offline Mark_Kendrick
Go to my shop
Hi Bartv, sorry i didn't see your reply.
the 'until today' comment was in regards to I had never had a problem with stl output until that day, when a file consistently corrupted.
All good now, I recommend Solid Edge as an easier/slightly simplified option to Solid Works
-Mark
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #11046 is a reply to message #10543 ] Tue, 23 March 2010 16:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar phoulx  is currently offline phoulx
Go to all my models
magic2002 wrote on Sun, 07 March 2010 16:40

i have just installed Autocad 2010 and found it has an export option for 3d printing. It is exporting as .stl

Another Autodesk product, Revit, has an Autodesk add-on to export to stl. Unfortunately, it's been giving me quite a few problems and no successful 3D prints yet. Maybe Autocad works better?
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #11204 is a reply to message #11046 ] Mon, 29 March 2010 12:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Thanks phoulx, I've added Revit to the list and made a note that it seems to be problematic.

Cheers,

Bart

Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #11779 is a reply to message #9996 ] Thu, 15 April 2010 12:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar oiffrig  is currently offline oiffrig
Go to all my models
OpenSCAD (http://openscad.org/) has native STL support, and refuses to export non-manifold designs.

Cheers,

Olivier
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #11839 is a reply to message #9996 ] Sat, 17 April 2010 21:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Granier  is currently offline Granier
Go to all my models
Hi Bart,

Cheetah3D ( http://www.cheetah3d.com/ ) :
- can import and export STL files (ASCII or Binary)
- can export .dae files

All formats described on this page : http://www.cheetah3d.com/about_5.php

Kind regards
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #11886 is a reply to message #11839 ] Mon, 19 April 2010 14:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
@oiffrig, Granier: thanks for your input! I've updated the list.

Cheers,

Bart

Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #12024 is a reply to message #9996 ] Thu, 22 April 2010 20:36 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar shuffer  is currently offline shuffer
Go to all my models
What about Poser Pro?
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #12122 is a reply to message #12024 ] Mon, 26 April 2010 11:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
@shuffer: I'd like to hear some feedback from people who use Poser Pro on our site before I add it to the list. Did you try it yet? Could you successfully upload those Collada files?

Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #12574 is a reply to message #9996 ] Fri, 07 May 2010 11:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Caramon352  is currently offline Caramon352
Go to all my models
Hello guys, I'm new to shapeways and was justlooking for the programs I could use for 3d printing.

Some months ago I bought milkshape3d and I just found out, that milkshape has a X3D and a VRML exporter.

So perhaps you could add that program to your list,

Regards
Caramon
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #12575 is a reply to message #12574 ] Fri, 07 May 2010 12:15 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Hi Camaron,

did you test the output on our site, too? Did the files upload correctly?

Cheers,

Bart

Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #14740 is a reply to message #9996 ] Wed, 14 July 2010 18:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MaxCross  is currently offline MaxCross
Go to all my models
Art of Illusion, http://www.artofillusion.org
offers VRML export, as well as Povray V3.5 (.pov) and Wavefront (.obj) . I´ve been using this software for a while and is very intuitive, worth checking.

The file extension is .aoi

Thanks,

Maxcross
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #15526 is a reply to message #9996 ] Sat, 31 July 2010 17:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Drawn-SteelHero  is currently offline Drawn-SteelHero
Go to my shop
For the record, AutoCAD 2000 can also export STL files, so presumably pretty much every non-LT version (i.e. any version with 3D functionality) between then and now can do the same.

Andy
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #15531 is a reply to message #9996 ] Sun, 01 August 2010 06:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Action_N  is currently offline Action_N
Go to my shop
Sir,

I've been using Autodesk Inventor v.11, and while I initially had to use MeshLab to re-save my .STL files in a format that Shapeways could read, that no longer seems to be necessary. I get manifold errors every once in a while, but it's usually because I'm working with complex curves.

Regards,
Action_N

"And though we are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."

~ Ulysses
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #15568 is a reply to message #9996 ] Tue, 03 August 2010 02:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar josheeg  is currently offline josheeg
Go to all my models
BRL-CAD is old good for Mechanical Engineering & true 3d.
it can be done with the mouse or keyboard or script and the documentation is quite good.

Now that means I made the walki talkie in theory so I do not know how hard other things would be...

But I would sugjest it for mechanical design that google sketchup and blender do not seem to be the right ideas for.

If their was a google sketchup piece of software that was free and open source that was easier than BRL-cad shure. but I have not seen one yet.
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #15580 is a reply to message #15568 ] Tue, 03 August 2010 09:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
@Action_N, @Drawn-Steel Hero: added, thanks!

@josheeg: looks good! Does it export to any format that we support? (STL/X3D/Collada/VRML2)

Cheers,

Bart

Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #21347 is a reply to message #9996 ] Mon, 06 December 2010 23:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mojoholio  is currently offline mojoholio
Go to all my models
Hello. Shapeways looks promising! Anyway, I have Swift3D v5. I use it to produce three dimensional flash animations. The software does export to the 3DS file format. It produces a good translation from my experience. This would vastly increase your potential user base since many Flash developers use Swift3D for native file translations.
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #22627 is a reply to message #9996 ] Fri, 14 January 2011 15:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar tcorica  is currently offline tcorica
Go to all my models
Haven't actually tried it, but Maple mathematics software indicates that it can export a 3D graph to Collada or X3D Geometry.
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #23374 is a reply to message #9996 ] Wed, 02 February 2011 19:02 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar StevenSchuurman  is currently offline StevenSchuurman
Go to my shop
www.3dcoat.com, how can you miss it! Smile
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #25628 is a reply to message #9996 ] Mon, 04 April 2011 20:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar flutterbye  is currently offline flutterbye
Go to all my models
Hello Bart - the organic sculpting applications from Sensable 3D Design - Freeform and Claytools - natively export watertight stl files. Additionally, Freeform has a very powerful decimator, invaluable when working with highly detailed models.

Jennifer
Product Manager - Sensable
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #25644 is a reply to message #9996 ] Tue, 05 April 2011 06:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Same goes for 3DCOAT, but much less expensive.
www.3dcoat.com

Sculptingsoftware
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #25645 is a reply to message #25644 ] Tue, 05 April 2011 06:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
So please update the list! Embarassed
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #26141 is a reply to message #25645 ] Sun, 17 April 2011 01:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
FYI.. if you can find Truespace 7.6.0 (not 7.6.1) it has native support for STL that works well.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #26164 is a reply to message #26141 ] Mon, 18 April 2011 12:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Thanks for your input, I've updated the list.

We also just released support for the OBJ file format: http://shpws.me/13TL

Any input on that would be vastly appreciated as well Wink

Cheers,

Bart

[Updated on: Mon, 18 April 2011 12:17 UTC]

Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #26203 is a reply to message #26164 ] Tue, 19 April 2011 12:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Finally, OBJ can now be uploaded... Long time coming. Just about every programme I use supports OBJ but not every one supports each of the many others.

And FYI, ZBrush 4 supports OBJ export and with the 3D Print Exporter Plug-in also supports:

•Export in STL, Binary and Ascii.
•Export in VRML.
•Size in Inches and millimeters.

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #26271 is a reply to message #26203 ] Wed, 20 April 2011 11:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Updated, thanks!

Bart

Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #27124 is a reply to message #26271 ] Sun, 08 May 2011 21:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Cortex  is currently offline Cortex
Go to all my models
Hi, you could list the free Rhino3D plug-in Grasshopper. Grasshopper adds a generative modeling tool to Rhino.

Cheers,
C.

http://www.grasshopper3d.com/

[Updated on: Sun, 08 May 2011 21:30 UTC]

Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #27224 is a reply to message #27124 ] Tue, 10 May 2011 08:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Grasshopper looks really interesting, and I'd like to do a blogpost about it. Would you be able to write somethig for me?

As for mentioning it in this list: it lists only 3D applications, not their plugins (the list would become VERY long very quickly Wink

Bart

Pages (4): [1  2  3  4    »] 

Previous Topic:Ring smaller than expected
Next Topic:Measurement issue

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.