Home » Support » 3D Applications » Supported applications, I could use a little help
Search Search  
 () 1 Vote(s)
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #43442 is a reply to message #14740 ] Sat, 04 February 2012 11:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar ccsccs7  is currently offline ccsccs7
Go to all my models
MaxCross wrote on Wed, 14 July 2010 18:43

Art of Illusion, http://www.artofillusion.org
offers VRML export, as well as Povray V3.5 (.pov) and Wavefront (.obj) . I´ve been using this software for a while and is very intuitive, worth checking.

I just uploaded a model from Art of Illusion (AoI) in STL format. There's also a collada plugin under development.
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #43458 is a reply to message #9996 ] Sat, 04 February 2012 21:29 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar TGRyan  is currently offline TGRyan
Go to all my models
Blender is an open source program used primarily for graphics design, movies and games. But, it does export in STL, OBJ, X3D and Collada.

It is available for download at www.blender.org
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #44203 is a reply to message #9996 ] Mon, 20 February 2012 10:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Thanks for your input, all!

@c.ringeisen: added
@decapod: added WRL and OBJ. Please let me know how the other file formats work for you.
@JACANT: added
@ccsccs7: updated
@TGRyan: Blender is already on the list Smile

Cheers,

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #44241 is a reply to message #44203 ] Tue, 21 February 2012 02:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bvr  is currently offline bvr
Go to my shop
Hexagons stl format works fine for me. I'll try to test some of the other formats that it supports.
bvr

Buffalo, 360° @ a time
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #44397 is a reply to message #44203 ] Thu, 23 February 2012 20:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar decapod  is currently offline decapod
Go to my shop
bartv wrote on Mon, 20 February 2012 10:05

Thanks for your input, all!

@decapod: added WRL and OBJ. Please let me know how the other file formats work for you.

The STL exporter supplied with 3D Crafter works if all parts use the same material (Binary STL export) - Y and Z values are flipped

I wrote my own STL export (text format) that works for shapeways too, material independant. Available from the amabilis forums.

Paul
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #45810 is a reply to message #9996 ] Wed, 21 March 2012 22:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar woutzweers  is currently offline woutzweers
Go to all my models
sculptris does not export stl but does export obj

wout zweers
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #45985 is a reply to message #45810 ] Mon, 26 March 2012 09:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
@wout zweers: thanks! I've updated the page, but it may take 1-2 days before the change gets published.

Bart

Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #46566 is a reply to message #9996 ] Thu, 05 April 2012 22:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar loopingz  is currently offline loopingz
Go to all my models
Hi there,

I just give a look to Catia (V5), it looks like it has no issue to export to .STL
I did not yet tried to send a design but it should just work fine.
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #46589 is a reply to message #46566 ] Fri, 06 April 2012 16:43 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
What is Catia, exactly? I had a quick look but found all kinds of exporters that were called Catia as well. I must admit I'm a little confused Smile

Thanks,

Bart

Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #46603 is a reply to message #46589 ] Fri, 06 April 2012 20:30 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar loopingz  is currently offline loopingz
Go to all my models
Catia is a 3D modeller by Dassault Systems.
The currrent latest version is V6. Anyway most company use V5. In aviation (I mean ALL the biggest) it is the main design tool. It is also very used in the automotive field and a bit for ship. It can be used for nearly everything (basic part design to stress calculation, cfd, sheetmetal, molding, wire routing...) depending on the module you are using. I guess it can be important for some people that have an easy access at work for this kind of software. It is not meant to be artistic but for constrained model it can do everything!
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #47219 is a reply to message #46603 ] Thu, 19 April 2012 12:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Updated, thanks!

Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #47314 is a reply to message #42995 ] Sat, 21 April 2012 14:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Ithildien  is currently offline Ithildien
Go to all my models
I do not know if anyone mentioned it yet, but I used Hexagon (currently owned by DAZ 3D).
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #47589 is a reply to message #47314 ] Fri, 27 April 2012 17:19 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Ithildien wrote on Sat, 21 April 2012 14:03

I do not know if anyone mentioned it yet, but I used Hexagon (currently owned by DAZ 3D).

Which file formats can you export from Hexagon?

Thanks!

Bart

Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #47590 is a reply to message #47589 ] Fri, 27 April 2012 18:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Fuchur84  is currently offline Fuchur84
Go to all my models
STL and OBJ, if I am not wrong.

See you
*Fuchur*
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #47608 is a reply to message #9996 ] Sat, 28 April 2012 08:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
3DS too, and maybe another one, but it's not on the PC I'm currently using.
Also, it's free at the moment, and very user-friendly (and localised in French): even I could manage something with it.
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #47658 is a reply to message #47608 ] Mon, 30 April 2012 11:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
3DS max is already on the list? Or do you mean another app?

Cheers,

Bart

Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #47688 is a reply to message #47658 ] Mon, 30 April 2012 22:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Sorry, I meant that Hexagon could convert into 3DS format.
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #47745 is a reply to message #47688 ] Wed, 02 May 2012 09:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Ah. Unfortunately that's not a format that we support..

Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #47746 is a reply to message #9996 ] Wed, 02 May 2012 09:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar aegidian  is currently offline aegidian
Go to my shop
Hexagon exports STL too. It's fine as a tool for modelling items for Shapeways (not my personal choice, but fine.)
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #47755 is a reply to message #47746 ] Wed, 02 May 2012 13:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I've updated the list, it may take a few hours before the page gets refreshed.

Cheers,

Bart

Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #48668 is a reply to message #9996 ] Fri, 18 May 2012 23:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar kcespedes  is currently offline kcespedes
Go to my shop
Hello,
I'm using Autodessys FormZ for my export to .STL.
Its a breeze!
Kevin

CESPEDESIGN MULTIMEDIA
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #48715 is a reply to message #9996 ] Sun, 20 May 2012 21:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar KerryOber  is currently offline KerryOber
Go to all my models
Hello Bart.

TurboCAD is available with 3 "levels" of capability. At the bottom is Deluxe which is what I have. In version V16 only VRML format is available. I speculate that the other formats you list are only available in Pro or Platinum or perhaps, though unlikely, in newer versions.
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #48729 is a reply to message #48715 ] Mon, 21 May 2012 11:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
@KerryOber: hmmm, the information on their website is a bit confusing. I'll contact their customer support and ask them for an update, thanks!

@kcespedes: added, thanks!

Cheers,

Bart

icon3.gif  Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #50142 is a reply to message #9996 ] Thu, 21 June 2012 08:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar akYip  is currently offline akYip
Go to my shop
Hi.

Lighwave(now ver 11) supports OBJ export.

http://3dprintgames.com/
http://3dprintprice.com/
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #51291 is a reply to message #30816 ] Fri, 13 July 2012 19:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar brikbot  is currently offline brikbot
Go to all my models
glehn wrote on Wed, 13 July 2011 18:12

I think they added VRML export.

CATIA definitely has had VRML97/2 export support for quite awhile. It's how I move models from CATIA to Blender for animations (CATIA -> .wrl -> Blender).
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #52072 is a reply to message #51291 ] Mon, 30 July 2012 10:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I've updated Lightwave and Catia, thanks!

Bart

Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #52295 is a reply to message #9996 ] Sun, 05 August 2012 16:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar sorgfelt  is currently offline sorgfelt
Go to all my models
BRL-CAD at brlcad.org has a converter to export and import to/from STL.
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #52367 is a reply to message #52295 ] Wed, 08 August 2012 10:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I've added BRL-CAD, thanks!

Bart

Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #58160 is a reply to message #9996 ] Fri, 07 December 2012 12:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Ranchoth  is currently offline Ranchoth
Go to my shop

AC3D (http://www.inivis.com/)

It exports a number of different formats, .stl and Collada among them, as well as VRML2 and X3D, although I've never had the chance to try the latter. The .dae and .stl exports upload perfectly.

It's a very nice modeling program—easy to use interface, and a good deal of precision. It's what I've done all my work for my shop in.
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #61733 is a reply to message #9996 ] Sun, 10 February 2013 12:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar IanJeffray  is currently offline IanJeffray
Go to all my models
Pro-Engineer is now known as Creo, and the link for the old Pro-Engineer as listed on your webpage is out of date. Should now be http://www.ptc.com/product/creo/

The default coordinate system in Creo means that Shapeways (and most other STL tools) sees the model incorrectly oriented. This is very easy to correct by creating a new coordinate system for export, rotated -90 degrees around the X axis (screenshot as shown).

When performing the STL export, set the Chord Height and Angle control to zero. (Creo will reset the values to the minimum allowed after you enter zero, that's fine). Also set the Step Size to 1 or perhaps even less, though this can easily cause enormous STL files if not careful. (Example also shown in screenshot attachment).

Hope this helps,
Ian.

Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #62014 is a reply to message #9996 ] Thu, 14 February 2013 09:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar rsears@mac.com  is currently offline rsears@mac.com
Go to all my models
Vellum Xenon also has .STL support native.

However, color info seems to be stripped from the model when i reopen from the .STL file. i just tried to download a file i wanted to print in color. am i missing something?
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #63552 is a reply to message #9996 ] Fri, 08 March 2013 12:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar josiah47  is currently offline josiah47
Go to all my models
I use Varicad and it can export in 3D STL and 3D STL with sections

http://www.varicad.com

Have yet to try upload a file and get one made though.
Re: Supported applications,Please allow SketchUp 8 [message #64367 is a reply to message #9996 ] Mon, 18 March 2013 20:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar noahjl  is currently offline noahjl
Go to all my models
Please allow us to upload SketchUp 8 files
a (.skp) file
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #66404 is a reply to message #9996 ] Fri, 19 April 2013 05:32 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar KenHecker  is currently offline KenHecker
Go to all my models
I just discovered Silo 2 today. This seems to be a good 3D modeling program. It can't render, but has a lot of modeling tools. It exports in several popular formats that ARE on your list. I've exported to .3ds, .obj, and .stl, and then imported those into SimLab Composer Renderer, a rendering program I bought to replace Right Hemisphere Deep Exploration, which SAP has taken away, and will not even acknowledge the queries of former subscribers. SimLab Composer seems to have no problem viewing the aforementioned formats, which suggests to me that Silo 2 does a good job of exporting. I will still have to see how it handles Solidworks files.

I got an ad in email today that offered Silo 2 for $109, but then found that Steam had it for $60 (marked up from $47.95). Only problem is you have to install the Steam interface, and then run the program sort of through it, although Silo 2 saves directly to your harddrive. No middleman needed there.

Ken Hecker

http://store.steampowered.com/app/100400/
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #66937 is a reply to message #9996 ] Fri, 26 April 2013 23:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar SlothLife  is currently offline SlothLife
Go to my shop
Maya has native support of OBJ files. It's not turned on by default, but if you go into the plug-in manager in maya you can turn it on.
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #67383 is a reply to message #9996 ] Fri, 03 May 2013 07:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Tekenkamer  is currently offline Tekenkamer
Go to all my models
Hi,
I didn't see the CAD program NX in the list.
It can convert to STL & VRML.

Regards,
Michel
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #68044 is a reply to message #9996 ] Wed, 15 May 2013 12:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar marco1bene  is currently offline marco1bene
Go to all my models
Siemens NX 8.0.1 for Mac supports STL, and VRML 1 ( static) VRML 2 ( Animated )
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #68956 is a reply to message #9996 ] Fri, 31 May 2013 08:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar SissyB  is currently offline SissyB
Go to all my models
Hi there!
For my part i use Poser 9, is it possible to add it to the list?
have a nice day
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #70519 is a reply to message #9996 ] Wed, 26 June 2013 02:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mbeadell  is currently offline mbeadell
Go to all my models
Hi,

I use Solvespace. An awesome but otherwise little known 3d parametric cad program that is also freeware. You can download it for free at http://solvespace.com/ and it will run directly of a USB stick. Its for windows but I understand it can be run under Linux using Wine.

It exports STL and OBJ from the menu option file-> Export triangle mesh
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #72035 is a reply to message #70519 ] Tue, 23 July 2013 19:25 UTC Go to previous messageGo to previous message
avatar samsonite  is currently offline samsonite
Go to all my models
I use a program called Ultimate Unwrap 3D. http://www.unwrap3d.com.

Ultimate Unwrap 3D supports many file formats, including VRML 2.0, X3D, DAE, STL, and OBJ export.
I have personally tested them all, and they all work successfully for upload to ShapeWays website.

You can find all of these test models under my account.

VRML 2.0 - Textured, YES
X3D - Textured, YES
DAE - Textured, YES
STL - YES (STL format doesn't support textures)
OBJ - YES (OBJ format supports textures, but ShapeWays doesn't read it yet)

Pages (4): [ «    1  2  3  4    »] 

Previous Topic:Cinema 4D and WRL files
Next Topic:image to 3d model?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.