Home »  » 3D Applications » Supported applications, I could use a little help
Search Search  
 () 1 Vote(s)
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #30531 is a reply to message #9996 ] Sat, 09 July 2011 18:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Arzka  is currently offline Arzka
Go to all my models
Moi3d (my favorite modeler) has native STL export:

http://moi3d.com/
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #30593 is a reply to message #30531 ] Mon, 11 July 2011 07:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar bartv  is currently offline bartv
Go to my shop
Added, thanks!

Bart

Community Manager Europe | Shapeways
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #30724 is a reply to message #30593 ] Tue, 12 July 2011 17:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar glehn  is currently offline glehn
Go to my shop
Bart,

My favorite 3D modeler is CATIA V5 (very expensive and not affordable for most users) but I have been testing Autodesk's 123d and I like it a lot. I miss some features, but it works just fine for mechanical parts.

Regards,
Luis
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #30813 is a reply to message #9996 ] Wed, 13 July 2011 16:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman is currently online lensman
Go to my shop
Autodesk just released Beta5 of 123D... a few more primitives added, along with STL export (I thought it already had that?).

It takes a bit of getting used to but is well worth the effort, I feel. It has a lot of modelling options that makers should like with easy filleting and chamfering, shelling, and much more.

Glenn

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #30816 is a reply to message #30813 ] Wed, 13 July 2011 18:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar glehn  is currently offline glehn
Go to my shop
I think they added VRML export. STL was already there.
This tractor I made using it:
I really like the user interface. But I am still trying to adapt to it. It's quite different from CATIA.

Regards,
Luis
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #31436 is a reply to message #9996 ] Sun, 24 July 2011 08:22 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar JohnBateson  is currently offline JohnBateson
Go to my shop
I think TurboCAD Pro V17 would be suitable - it can save in STL format
John

John Bateson
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #31439 is a reply to message #9996 ] Sun, 24 July 2011 08:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar aegidian  is currently offline aegidian
Go to my shop
I'm a long-time user of Wings3d which can export wavefront .OBJ, VRML 2.0 .WRL, collada .DAE and stereolithography .STL files natively.

All my models were made with Wings3d or OpenSCAD.
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #31465 is a reply to message #31439 ] Mon, 25 July 2011 07:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Wings3D and TurboCAD added, thanks for the info!

Bart

Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #33019 is a reply to message #9996 ] Sun, 21 August 2011 13:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar clearmenser  is currently offline clearmenser
Go to my shop
I humbly nominate Houdini's ".bego" or ".sdf"
It's a great program used on many motion pictures.
It's from http://www.sidefx.com/
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #33288 is a reply to message #33019 ] Thu, 25 August 2011 07:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I think those file formats are proprietary, making them difficult/expensive for us to implement. Also, it makes more sense to implement file formats that are common across applications. Can't Houdini export STL, OBJ, VRML2 or Collada?

Bart

Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #33596 is a reply to message #27224 ] Wed, 31 August 2011 08:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar romen  is currently offline romen
Go to my shop
softimage exports obj too. for most other formats this plugin does the job. http://www.okino.com/conv/pt4xsi.htm

geerz,
roman
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #33637 is a reply to message #33288 ] Wed, 31 August 2011 22:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar clearmenser  is currently offline clearmenser
Go to my shop
OKey dokey. Yes, Houdini outputs OBJ (which I've used). So, no problem. Just putting the suggestion out there.
Embarassed
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #33638 is a reply to message #33637 ] Thu, 01 September 2011 00:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar duann  is currently offline duann
Go to my shop
I work here
Well,

Tinkercad
123D
3Dtin

are all free/awesome...

Duann Scott, Designer Evangelist, Shapeways
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #33646 is a reply to message #33638 ] Thu, 01 September 2011 08:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
All added, thanks for the updates!

Bart

Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #34917 is a reply to message #9996 ] Thu, 22 September 2011 21:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Count_Ramsely  is currently offline Count_Ramsely
Go to all my models
What about the program Anim8tor? http://www.anim8or.com/main/index.html

Could this be a program that would be compatible with your requirements at Shapeways? I only ask cause i don't know any technical details of what specifically is required about a program to be considered acceptable, and because this one wasn't on your list! =3

Thanks in advance! =D

-Count Ramsely
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #35451 is a reply to message #9996 ] Thu, 29 September 2011 18:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar evlad  is currently offline evlad
Go to all my models
Fractracer can save as OBJ. Small tutorial here.

[Updated on: Fri, 30 September 2011 17:45 UTC]

Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #37102 is a reply to message #9996 ] Fri, 21 October 2011 09:42 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar MacG  is currently offline MacG
Go to my shop
SketchUp can export STL with a PlugIn. Tested with 7.0 and 8.0.

http://www.guitar-list.com/download-software/convert-sketchu p-skp-files-dxf-or-stl
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #37298 is a reply to message #9996 ] Tue, 25 October 2011 09:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
List updated, thanks!

@Count_Ramsely: I haven't heard of anyone using Anim8tor yet. It has also not been updated since 2006 - looks like a dead project?

Cheers,

Bart

Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #37465 is a reply to message #9996 ] Thu, 27 October 2011 14:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar QRM  is currently offline QRM
Go to all my models
Please add Vellum Argon and Vellum Cobalt.
Can export STL amongst others.
Smile

Modelling the Great Central Railway & Metropolitan Railway
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #37658 is a reply to message #37465 ] Mon, 31 October 2011 08:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Added, thanks!

Bart

Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #38109 is a reply to message #9996 ] Mon, 07 November 2011 13:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar osuire  is currently offline osuire
Go to all my models
Rhino can export OBJ

Cheers,

--
Olivier
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #38291 is a reply to message #38109 ] Thu, 10 November 2011 09:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Added, thanks!

Groboto [message #40177 is a reply to message #9996 ] Tue, 13 December 2011 10:57 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Whoop John  is currently offline Whoop John
Go to my shop
For pure sculpting - messing about with primitive shapes that can be combined in various boolean ways - Groboto is now doing an incredible job of creating unified meshes with no holes, very suitable for Shapeways. The results can be exported as .obj files.

See Groboto.com
Topmod [message #40179 is a reply to message #9996 ] Tue, 13 December 2011 11:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I see a few models on this site that look as if they originated in Topmod, such as the classic Topmod excercise added on this site here:

Joint Stars

Topmod is a bit old now and no longer supported, but it is a useful 3D tool and will create some great unified meshes exportable as .obj files.
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #40296 is a reply to message #9996 ] Thu, 15 December 2011 13:45 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar etto  is currently offline etto
Go to all my models
Hello,
Vectorworks 2012 exports to STL.
Don't know about previous versions.

Ciao
Ettore
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #40731 is a reply to message #27224 ] Sun, 25 December 2011 21:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar JACANT  is currently offline JACANT
Go to my shop
CAD Guide To STL Export for 3D Printing.

This site gives extra details you might need to tweak, before you upload your file.

http://solidwild.posterous.com/cad-guide-to-stl-export-for-3 d-printing

[Updated on: Sun, 25 December 2011 21:25 UTC]

jacantdesign@gmail.com
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #40963 is a reply to message #27224 ] Fri, 30 December 2011 21:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar redmistpete-1  is currently offline redmistpete-1
Go to all my models
I use "Sculptris", it's a free, stable Alpha version 3D modler from Pixelogic and is intended as a bridge for zbrush, but is a very useful and powerful tool with a small file-size and low system requirements and also allows export of the 3D files as .obj!! Love it. Smile

http://www.pixologic.com/sculptris/features/

Has tutorial videos on the site as well.
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #41056 is a reply to message #40963 ] Mon, 02 January 2012 12:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
@redmistpete-1 - added, thanks!

@JACANT - thanks! I'll see if we can write our own guide that covers all these tools..

Bart

Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #41145 is a reply to message #9996 ] Tue, 03 January 2012 19:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Fuchur84  is currently offline Fuchur84
Go to all my models
Hi Guys,

just wanted to add another application:
"Hash Animation:Master" v16 and up can export to STL natively too (and of course to OBJ).

See you
*Fuchur*

Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #41509 is a reply to message #41145 ] Mon, 09 January 2012 13:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Added, thanks!

Bart

Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #41573 is a reply to message #41509 ] Tue, 10 January 2012 03:28 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
My contributions not added so far. Here goes again:

Topmod: STL native, OBJ native
Groboto: OBJ native

Both programs create unified meshes ideal for Shapeways.
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #41694 is a reply to message #9996 ] Wed, 11 January 2012 19:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar KlonoaDreamer  is currently offline KlonoaDreamer
Go to all my models
You guys might want to do an article about this!!!

Verto Studio 3D for iPad/2 and Verto Studio 3DM for iPhone/iPod touch export in .OBJ only.

Awesome!!!! Make it on your iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch and get it printed out for real!!!

This information put out there may send you guys into the stratosphere!

If you need to contact the creator here is his site:

http://vertostudio.com
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #41752 is a reply to message #41573 ] Thu, 12 January 2012 12:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
@Whoop John: apologies, added.

@KlonoaDreamer: added as well, I'll forward the information to our communications team.

Cheers,

Bart

Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #41858 is a reply to message #9996 ] Fri, 13 January 2012 12:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Pertoll Patrick  is currently offline Pertoll Patrick
Go to all my models
Hello good day. I work as many thousands of people with CAD. Said exactly cat range. These files are all files p3d. It is 3D ausschliessliech program. I würtde ask me to give the possibility to allow these files in their program. we can easily work with it. I have to let a lot of work matters. Please help. Italy with a friendly greeting from South Tyrol.
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #41859 is a reply to message #41858 ] Fri, 13 January 2012 12:51 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Pertoll Patrick  is currently offline Pertoll Patrick
Go to all my models
Hello good day. I work as many thousands of people with CAD. To be precise palette cad. These files are all files p3d. It is 3D ausschliessliech program. I would ask them to give me the opportunity to allow these files in their program. we can easily work with it. I have to let a lot of work matters. Please help. Italy with a friendly greeting from South Tyrol.
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #41867 is a reply to message #41859 ] Fri, 13 January 2012 13:44 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar etto  is currently offline etto
Go to all my models
Please add Vectorworks 2012 (http://www.vectorworks.net/) to the list of supported applications. It supports STL export.
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #42047 is a reply to message #41867 ] Mon, 16 January 2012 10:10 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
@Pertoll Patrick: I'm not sure what you're saying - are you asking for .p3d support? It's currently not on our roadmap, as most applications can export to one of the file formats that we support.

@etto: added, thanks!

Cheers,

Bart

Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #42779 is a reply to message #9996 ] Thu, 26 January 2012 06:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar c.ringeisen  is currently offline c.ringeisen
Go to all my models
SketchUp 7,8 Pro Supports .obj natively.
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #42861 is a reply to message #42779 ] Fri, 27 January 2012 09:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar decapod  is currently offline decapod
Go to my shop
I just checked my tool of choice

3D Crafter 9 Pro (http://www.amabilis.com)

Native

WRL, OBJ work OK

DAE,x3d - having trouble with scaling properly, will look into that

STL - Some problems with only the first manifold object appearing, objects flipped onto their sides
Re: Supported applications, I could use a little help [message #42995 is a reply to message #42861 ] Sat, 28 January 2012 20:41 UTC Go to previous messageGo to previous message
avatar JACANT  is currently offline JACANT
Go to my shop
FreeCad. http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/free-cad/index.php?tit le=Main_Page
It Imports as well as exports in a variety of flavours.
It also has a 'Mesh Workbench' were you can analyse your mesh.
index.php?t=getfile&id=14001&private=0

jacantdesign@gmail.com

Pages (4): [ «    1  2  3  4    »] 

Previous Topic:Cinema 4D and WRL files
Next Topic:image to 3d model?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.