Home » Support » Bug Reporting » Some suggestions
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Some suggestions [message #510] Sat, 02 August 2008 17:48 UTC Go to next message
avatar jayumba  is currently offline jayumba
Go to all my models
At first sight, I have some suggestions.
I would like to know the models price without having to add it to the cart, open the cart, open the model and select each material. It could be great to see the description page with all prices together.

In the material overview, I can see some good details for the first material (Cream Robust) as the minimun thickness of the walls. However, the other ones don't have these great numbers. I think it is very important to make a cheap and solid model.
And finally, I would like to know (maybe in the material overview) the weight of each material per cm3 for example (and maybe for each model). If you design a model with thin walls it could be too light for your purposes.

Fantastic work!
Re: Some suggestions [message #535 is a reply to message #510 ] Sun, 03 August 2008 17:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pete  is currently offline pete
Go to all my models
Co-Founder
Hi,

thank you for your good feedback, we will consider it.

regards,
Peter
Re: Some suggestions [message #560 is a reply to message #535 ] Mon, 04 August 2008 08:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar joris  is currently offline joris
Go to all my models
Jayumba, great ideas!
Re: Some suggestions [message #763 is a reply to message #510 ] Fri, 08 August 2008 19:39 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Disciple  is currently offline Disciple
Go to all my models
I had some questions, but I guess they're really suggestions, answers I'd like to see added to the relevant pages.
  • Is the cost based on the volume of actual material in the model, or the volume of the bounding box? The options page isn't clear on this.
  • Would you make the "production method" labels in the material options into links to their definitions?
  • Does the material page reflect beta pricing? What will production prices be?
  • What is meant by "Unfinished" and "Finished " state?
  • What's private and public availability? Can other people order prints of public uploads?
I know some answers lie in the forums, but I suggest placing them up front.
Oh, and thank you for giving the materials meaningful names, instead of more silly branding hype like "Strongolyte®" or "Synthetuf®".

God is glorious!
Disciple
Re: Some suggestions [message #772 is a reply to message #763 ] Sat, 09 August 2008 00:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Gotblade  is currently offline Gotblade
Go to all my models
Can non-members brows the models?
Also if it turns out there's an interest in other people buying these models can the model builder get a percentage on those sales?
Re: Some suggestions [message #774 is a reply to message #763 ] Sat, 09 August 2008 00:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar robert  is currently offline robert
Go to all my models
I work here
Disciple wrote on Fri, 08 August 2008 15:39

Is the cost based on the volume of actual material in the model, or the volume of the bounding box? The options page isn't clear on this.

The cost is calculated based on the actual volume of the model.

Quote:

Would you make the "production method" labels in the material options into links to their definitions?

That is a good idea!

Quote:

Does the material page reflect beta pricing? What will production prices be?

Our current pricing is actual production pricing.

Quote:

What is meant by "Unfinished" and "Finished " state?

This is used for classification of your model. Finished models are shown in the default gallery. For unfinished models you have to select "Unfinished models" in the gallery.

Quote:

What's private and public availability? Can other people order prints of public uploads?

Public means your model is available in our gallery. Other users can order your model. In our next release you can disable ordering of your models by others. Private models are only available to the users in their "My Design" page.

We are working on an update of our content pages. All feedback including yours is taken into account. Your feedback is very valuable to us and we appreciate you took the time to post this to our forum.

Best regards,

Robert
Re: Some suggestions [message #775 is a reply to message #772 ] Sat, 09 August 2008 00:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar robert  is currently offline robert
Go to all my models
I work here
Gotblade wrote on Fri, 08 August 2008 20:05

Can non-members brows the models?
Also if it turns out there's an interest in other people buying these models can the model builder get a percentage on those sales?

At this moment this is not possible. But it is an excellent idea!

[Updated on: Sat, 09 August 2008 00:53 UTC]

Re: Some suggestions [message #778 is a reply to message #775 ] Sat, 09 August 2008 03:52 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar Wildsketch  is currently offline Wildsketch
Go to all my models
I agree with Gotblade. If we are the sort of people who want to make our models visible in the gallery, we probably want everyone to be able to see them whether they are a member or not.

His second point is excellent as well. It was immediately obvious to me that this service could become the cafepress or the spreadshirt of 3D objects. I doubt many people would make a lot of money that way, but with the enthusiasm for resin models in comic book shops, and the market for jewelery if you offered metals, who knows?

Though I would like to see a collaborative space here as well, as I'm sure you would, where people upload designs for purposeful objects in a format that everyone can download, like obj, and have others be able to incorporate those designs into larger projects or make improvements and then upload them again for the benefit of the community. Take a page from flickr and let people have some models be creative commons.

Also, note that if you want to make it possible for people to sell models, or to display them without allowing others to download them you are going to need a viewer that does not send the geometry to someone's browser over the internet, like what you have now. They will simply grab it from the cache or from the video buffer. Instead I suggest having your servers send a Quicktime VR of the object, or even a turntable rotation animated gif, which I think would be perfect for thumbnails. But I want this anyway because your 3D viewer does not work for me.
Re: Some suggestions [message #1829 is a reply to message #510 ] Thu, 30 October 2008 14:55 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pumaboy3d  is currently offline pumaboy3d
Go to all my models
My only feed back would be try to get a system that can read .OBJ's because a lot of plat forms can use them and export them it's pretty universal, if this is at all possible
Re: Some suggestions [message #1835 is a reply to message #1829 ] Thu, 30 October 2008 23:27 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar pete  is currently offline pete
Go to all my models
Co-Founder
Hi pumaboy3d,

we are looking into OBJ..... will keep you posted.

regards,
Peter
Re: Some MORE suggestions [message #2429 is a reply to message #510 ] Sun, 11 January 2009 10:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar NaeRey  is currently offline NaeRey
Go to all my models
In the gallery, don't show me YOUR Rendered image. It's ugly!
A) Make it prettier (maybe even allow to choose which kind of render to make, as in: templates!)
B) Allow users to send their own renders of the model

Minimum order 25$? That's kind of... ehm... could be lowered maybe? Would mean more clients ^^

Would it be possible to have shapeways also COLORIZE the items?
I'm sure there are such machines that based on 3d objects that are texturized/colorized can pain them... and if not.. would you be daring enough to make one? Razz

Metal coverings.. Ok, so you can' work metal because it's expensive. What about just adding a THIN cover on the object, so at least it gets all shiny? Guess you'd need some other hardware for it too :S

[Updated on: Sun, 11 January 2009 10:10 UTC]

Re: Some MORE suggestions [message #2430 is a reply to message #2429 ] Sun, 11 January 2009 10:54 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar madox  is currently offline madox
Go to my shop
Hi NaeRay,

There's a option nowadays to show another uploaded picture as the default in the gallery, which is a great idea.

I think the $25 is reasonable given its postage included, if the minimum order is lowered then postage to certain areas of the world would probably cost more than the item itself...

But I have to agree 100% with your suggestion on metal plating!!! There is even an objet guide on metal plating polyjet models http://www.objet.com/Portals/0/docs/A-4/Metal_Coating_A4_Isr .pdf. Please...pretty please Shapeways!
Re: Some MORE suggestions [message #2433 is a reply to message #2429 ] Sun, 11 January 2009 17:21 UTC Go to previous message
avatar fx  is currently offline fx
Go to my shop
If you don't like the $25 minimum order, then I think another solution could be: no minimal order and every customer pays the real shipping cost to his country (and of course,the price per cubic centimeter could be lowered)...
I would like this because my country is quite near to the Netherlands, but I guess that people from the U.S. , Australia,... would not like at all to pay the real shipping cost !

[Updated on: Sun, 11 January 2009 17:43 UTC]

Previous Topic:Forum addition?
Next Topic:Uploading Error/Delay?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.