Dimensions dont match

Discussion in 'Materials' started by 594643_deleted, Aug 9, 2014.

1. So i have created a file in photoshop and saved it as a jpg and uploaded it to the shapeways converter.
    https://www.shapeways.com/creator/2dto3d/?li=nav#landing
    Everything looks great except for the dimensions are way off.
    In photoshop I have the image size set to 1 inch high and .604 inches wide. and 3 levels of gray for defining thickness.
    After converting i get this (in) 1.339w x 2.22d x 0.117h
    I can understand that height in this case would be thickness., But the Width and the depth are nowhere near what they should be.
    Am i reading this wrong?
    Do I have to compensate in some way on the conversion?
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Not sure where the factor of 2.22 for both width and height comes from - 2.54 for unintended metric/imperial unit conversion would have seemed more likely, perhaps something to do with image resolution (dpi) ? (I seem to remember other people experiencing similar mismatches between photoshop and shapeways sizes)

3. Ya just did a test and dropped the res from 96/pix/inch to 33 with no discernible change.
    Not sure what size I really have.

4. Now I am getting 1.181w x 1.961d x 0.078h on the 1 inch x .609 ?
    So I made a 2 x 1.24 and the size is still 1.181w x 1.961d x 0.078h, even after a browser cache flush. 0_O

5. AmLachDesigns
    AmLachDesigns Well-Known Member
    You upload the image and then set the Width (and Thickness) with the slider bars. I do not think (I don't know how it can really) take any dimension values from a .jpg file.

I haven't calculated everything but it seems that it is applying the default width of 30mm and varying the height in proportion.

What happens when you change the slider bar values?

6. Yep that did the trick, now I see that the minimum width is 30mm and the depth scales up with it.
    Just did this with a 31 mm width.
    Thanks for the nudge in the right direction.

Attached Files: