Now Through Sunday Night. Black Friday Deals & Free Shipping! See the deals.
Home » Support » 3D Design » Thin wall problem
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
Thin wall problem [message #94966] Wed, 30 July 2014 15:51 UTC Go to next message
avatar ecnfernandes  is currently offline ecnfernandes
Go to all my models
I am having a problem with thin walls in my model. The errors that are shown are inconsistent because in different places in the model with same dimensions some have errors others not.

Can anyone help me on this?

Thank you

Filipe

Re: Thin wall problem [message #94969 is a reply to message #94966 ] Wed, 30 July 2014 17:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Due to the way the Voxels are computed, the tool will have issues catching everything.. that's why it's backed up by a human check before printing.

Your small letters B,P,O,R will have trouble, because the support peice is only 0.15mm - that thin support needs to be thicker in ALL cases, regardless of what the tool is showing.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: Thin wall problem [message #94981 is a reply to message #94969 ] Wed, 30 July 2014 20:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Hello,

thank you for the reply.

The piece is 3mm thick, so I dont see where is the problem and why you mentioned the support piece is only 0.15mm.

Can you please explain?

Thank you.

Filipe
Re: Thin wall problem [message #94986 is a reply to message #94969 ] Wed, 30 July 2014 22:12 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar JACANT  is currently offline JACANT
Go to my shop
The support pieces of 0.15mm that @Stonysmith mentions can be seen in the image. These are thin walls.
Besides that the spaces between the letters are very thin. I think it would be impossible to remove the excess material from here, it would be fused together.

index.php?t=getfile&id=66652&private=0

jacantdesign@gmail.com
Re: Thin wall problem [message #95030 is a reply to message #94986 ] Thu, 31 July 2014 11:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
Hello.

Thank you for the help.

Are these problems only on the small letters? If I fix those ones can I print it in stainless steel and strong flexible plastic?

Cheers.

Filipe
Re: Thin wall problem [message #95033 is a reply to message #95030 ] Thu, 31 July 2014 12:46 UTC Go to previous message
avatar AmLachDesigns  is currently offline AmLachDesigns
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Have you looked at the Materials pages for each Material you want to print in? The design guidelines are specified there that you have to follow, and they are different for each 'family' of materials.

Previous Topic:aeroplane shape - Can i print a model with solid wings and a hollow body?
Next Topic:Ceramic Print - Weak Geometry on Pokemon's Tail

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.