Home » Community » Shapeways Shops » New Material Renders Question
Search Search  
Show: Today's Messages    Show Polls    Message Navigator
New Material Renders Question [message #94149] Thu, 17 July 2014 16:17 UTC Go to next message
avatar tdr.innovations  is currently offline tdr.innovations
Go to my shop
I have a quick questions about the new Material Renders that will be introduced soon.

For preexisting model files, will the Material Renders be generated automatically or will it require the shop owner to create and save the new render on the Details page?

This is real important to me because I have over 700 model files listed on Shapeways and all of them have the "Up" axis in the positive Z direction. So it is real important that I DO NOT lose the old original grey scale rendering and have them replaced with the new, incorrectly oriented, Material Renders.

I also use a link to the old original grey scale renderings to show the model files on my own personal catalog website. If Material Renders automatically generate and this old grey scale picture disappears, then my links become dead.

TDR.Innovations
Re: New Material Renders Question [message #94154 is a reply to message #94149 ] Thu, 17 July 2014 17:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar stonysmith  is currently offline stonysmith
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
A bit of both. You have two weeks to go thru your shop and alter any orientation(s) or viewing angles that you desire.
Approx two weeks from now, they are going to start a batch process to re-process ALL of the existing renders.

The "Z-Up" issue has already been raised... . that's being actively discussed internally right now. I agree with you that it's too much work to have to update all 400+ models I currently have. There should be an message about that decision posted in a few hours. "Stand by for news".

But, if you know that you have some models that are turned incorrectly, (I have a bunch where the nose of the truck is facing away from the screen) you could/should also start working with that now.

Note: even after the batch process is finished, you are still going to be able to go back and "tweak" the orientation (per model) as you desire.. That option is here to stay.

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: New Material Renders Question [message #94164 is a reply to message #94154 ] Thu, 17 July 2014 18:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar mkroeker  is currently offline mkroeker
Go to all my models
Shapie Expert
Surely if they run a batch job to generate the renders for all older models, it should be possible to do a rotate before the render so that the initial orientation of the new images should match the old ones (which either happened to be correct, were painstakingly corrected by the designer, or did not matter anyway due to symmetry or whatever). Toppling the images of something like 2 million models just because the new software is different does not make sense to me at all, even if the burden of righting them again is distributed over a largish number of designers. (I am beginning to think the whole announcement and the threads discussing it should be pulled and shapeways should reconsider before things get really embarrassing)
Re: New Material Renders Question [message #94165 is a reply to message #94164 ] Thu, 17 July 2014 18:26 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar woody64  is currently offline woody64
Go to my shop
The old grey renders will disappear or stay still available?

Why not add renders without checking if a photo of the material exists?

Are the renders accessable/removeable via the image section (then everybody can choose it or not)?

Are there any further previews ?

Woody64

More then 8100 items sold over SW (but still a hobby)
Minifigcustomsin3d at: Facebook Flickr Twitter
References: 3d Printing Industries, CNN, J. Burks, Ugly Duckling, M.Evans, Stop Motion Film,Computer BILD, How to Become a 3D Printing Entrepreneur
More then 270 shop items (more then 146 already printed once) More the 500 successful Products (Items&material printed once)
Re: New Material Renders Question [message #94169 is a reply to message #94165 ] Thu, 17 July 2014 18:46 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I just did a manual material render, not only did it create the new render but it also deleted the old grey scale picture!!

So if the automatic batch material renders go through not only do I get 700 wrong pictures, but all my right pictures will be erased too??!!

All the items I offer are either in WSF, FD, and/or FUD, the new material render for these materials look just like the old grey scale renders. This makes sense because the materials are all "white-ish" to begin with...... So not only do I loose 700 good pictures, get 700 bad pictures, loose about 250 links to my catalog page but the 700 bad pictures look just like the old pictures!!

It makes no sense.

I want to keep my old pictures and let me phase in the new render pictures as I see fit, That is the only thing that makes sense. If Shapeways makes it so we can keep the old pictures, with original links, then that would be OK with me. Then I could fix the material renders at my leisure.
Re: New Material Renders Question [message #94218 is a reply to message #94169 ] Fri, 18 July 2014 04:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Tried to generate renders but nothing happened (also after some hours)?

References: 3d Printing Industries, CNN, J. Burks, Ugly Duckling, M.Evans, Stop Motion Film,Computer BILD, How to Become a 3D Printing Entrepreneur
More then 270 shop items (more then 146 already printed once) More the 500 successful Products (Items&material printed once)
Re: New Material Renders Question [message #94225 is a reply to message #94149 ] Fri, 18 July 2014 08:05 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar fx  is currently offline fx
Go to my shop
A cool new render: FUD streetlamp in the fog... :-( Good luck to anybody who wants to sell an item in FUD with only this kind of render.
index.php?t=getfile&id=65346&private=0

link to the model : https://www.shapeways.com/model/1933620/pair-of-streetlamps- h0-1-87.html

The first to try label will only confuse any potential buyer, and he will only be the first to NOT try ! I think it's a necessary evil for Shapeways to rollout this new idea sitewide, to see it's effects in real life. I just hope they will not wait too long before they revert to the old system.

Re: New Material Renders Question [message #94226 is a reply to message #94225 ] Fri, 18 July 2014 08:14 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar numarul7  is currently offline numarul7
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Knowledge Expert
Guys report here href=" https://docs.google.com/a/shapeways.com/forms/d/1-o37JoLgKC0 HUBwQu1oQijOaSGjG0VkmLlO5Vj8ievQ/viewform" target="_blank"

[Updated on: Fri, 18 July 2014 08:14 UTC]

numarul7 jewelry and design
Re: New Material Renders Question [message #94249 is a reply to message #94149 ] Fri, 18 July 2014 11:33 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar lensman  is currently offline lensman
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Just wanted to add my two cents at how annoying the model orientation on new renders is. How on Earth was the decision made to make the model orientation different to the old grey render?! So many models are going to look like s**t if this isn't addressed before public roll-out.

Glenn ------ My Website Third Dimension Jewellery
Re: New Material Renders Question [message #94250 is a reply to message #94249 ] Fri, 18 July 2014 11:47 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Good point since I think all of us located the item in a way to have a sensefull render

Re: New Material Renders Question [message #94252 is a reply to message #94149 ] Fri, 18 July 2014 11:56 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar daytonatim  is currently offline daytonatim
Go to all my models
It has taken me 3 1/2 years to get the system I have worked out. I evolved to using the rendered pics from Shapeways in my catalog because I thought they would be stable and safe. Fotki messed me over about a year ago when they decided to unplug their computers for a month or two while they moved them to eastern Europe because the weather was better there.

Now Shapeways wants to mess with the pictures.....

If Shapeways deletes the old renders then there goes the past years work and here comes another years work fixing the orientation of the renders and fixing our catalog.

This is not some small problem that will just take a few hours to fix. I am looking at 200 to 400 hours to fix this problem.....that is 200 to 400 hours I could be generating new 3D models and expanding our business......and Shapeway's business.
Re: New Material Renders Question [message #94253 is a reply to message #94252 ] Fri, 18 July 2014 11:58 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar numarul7  is currently offline numarul7
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
Knowledge Expert
Write in the form I have posted XD

numarul7 jewelry and design
Re: New Material Renders Question [message #94255 is a reply to message #94253 ] Fri, 18 July 2014 12:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar daytonatim  is currently offline daytonatim
Go to all my models
Already have, thanks
Re: New Material Renders Question [message #94280 is a reply to message #94255 ] Fri, 18 July 2014 17:01 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Hmmm when I start the rendering I get some pictures 10 minutes later but they don't show up as images in product view.
Is that not enabled yet or is there any failure ?

Woody64

Re: New Material Renders Question [message #94281 is a reply to message #94149 ] Fri, 18 July 2014 17:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar kzasada  is currently offline kzasada
Go to my shop
I work here
@TDR.Innovations :
tdr.innovations wrote on Thu, 17 July 2014 16:17

For preexisting model files, will the Material Renders be generated automatically or will it require the shop owner to create and save the new render on the Details page?

This is real important to me because I have over 700 model files listed on Shapeways and all of them have the "Up" axis in the positive Z direction. So it is real important that I DO NOT lose the old original grey scale rendering and have them replaced with the new, incorrectly oriented, Material Renders.

We will create the renders automatically in a few weeks time if you haven't already created the renders. We are switching back to the Z axis, apologies for the scare. We hear you that reorienting that many models would be insane, so it will be done shortly.

tdr.innovations wrote on Thu, 17 July 2014 16:17

I also use a link to the old original grey scale renderings to show the model files on my own personal catalog website. If Material Renders automatically generate and this old grey scale picture disappears, then my links become dead.

We haven't made any plans to remove the grey render, so they are safe for the time being. If anything we may stop generating them for new models in the future, but your existing images are safe.

Re: New Material Renders Question [message #94282 is a reply to message #94165 ] Fri, 18 July 2014 17:07 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I work here
2Woody64
woody64 wrote on Thu, 17 July 2014 18:26

The old grey renders will disappear or stay still available?

The grey renders are still available and still being created on upload.

Why not add renders without checking if a photo of the material exists?

We are creating the material renders in order to help customers see what a product will be like after printing, so a photo will do a much better job than our render ever will :)

Are the renders accessable/removeable via the image section (then everybody can choose it or not)?

Are there any further previews ?

The best previews are on the images section or my clicking the "preview" link underneath the render posing viewer, which will show you the renders on your product page, as a customer would see them.

Re: New Material Renders Question [message #94283 is a reply to message #94169 ] Fri, 18 July 2014 17:08 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I work here
tdr.innovations wrote on Thu, 17 July 2014 18:46

I just did a manual material render, not only did it create the new render but it also deleted the old grey scale picture!!

This should not be happening. Can you PM me the model it is happening on?
Re: New Material Renders Question [message #94286 is a reply to message #94225 ] Fri, 18 July 2014 17:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I work here
fx wrote on Fri, 18 July 2014 08:05

A cool new render: FUD streetlamp in the fog... :-( Good luck to anybody who wants to sell an item in FUD with only this kind of render.
index.php?t=getfile&id=65346&private=0

We're looking into additional lighting or texture we can add to the FUD render to help showcase the model. Part of the problem is that since FUD is transparent, in order to be accurate it is hard to see the details :( We're exploring a few options and will show you all once we have a few good leads.

fx wrote on Fri, 18 July 2014 08:05

The first to try label will only confuse any potential buyer, and he will only be the first to NOT try ! I think it's a necessary evil for Shapeways to rollout this new idea sitewide, to see it's effects in real life. I just hope they will not wait too long before they revert to the old system.

I promise you, it is not in our best interests to scare off shoppers. We'll be keeping an eye on it closely, but we've also done a lot of research into this and feel it is going to be the right direction for our marketplace. Either way, we appreciate your concerns and the entire team is taking them seriously.
Re: New Material Renders Question [message #94287 is a reply to message #94280 ] Fri, 18 July 2014 17:18 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I work here
woody64 wrote on Fri, 18 July 2014 17:01

Hmmm when I start the rendering I get some pictures 10 minutes later but they don't show up as images in product view.
Is that not enabled yet or is there any failure ?

You have to click on the preview link underneath the render posing viewer to see the renders. If you are still not seeing them, can you PM me any models that are having this issue on? Thanks!
Re: New Material Renders Question [message #94288 is a reply to message #94282 ] Fri, 18 July 2014 17:20 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Not so bad ...

https://images1.sw-cdn.net/model/picture/625x465_2170397_3589445_1405702790.jpg
https://images3.sw-cdn.net/model/picture/625x465_2170397_3589426_1405702790.jpg

Re: New Material Renders Question [message #94301 is a reply to message #94149 ] Fri, 18 July 2014 20:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar natalia  is currently offline natalia
Go to all my models
I work here
Hey guys,

Lots of great suggestions and feedback, thanks so much!

@woody64 that looks GREAT!!

I have a couple more updates from Brad:

Render posing default up-axis is now z-up for STL/OBJ, y-up for DAE, WRL, X3D, X3DB, X3DV - using the same logic we had before for grey renders :P)

For the small set of models that ALREADY had renders generated (probably all of you guys), we will not be adjusting the up-axis in case you've already fixed it
so if you have models with new renders - please take a quick look and adjust them accordingly

If you have models WITHOUT new renders - when we generate renders for every model on the site, they will maintain the same logic as the previous 'grey render' :)

Thanks!
Natalia

Ex-Shapeways Community Manager <3
Re: New Material Renders Question [message #94302 is a reply to message #94149 ] Fri, 18 July 2014 20:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I work here
Some more responses from the form:

You Ask
We Answer

FUD Renders are hard to see

We're looking at how we can change the lighting and background to make FUD a bit easier to see. Part of the problem is, as you mentioned, the details are hard to see in real life, so we may end up making a render that is somewhat more unrealistic in order to show the details.

Ability to save the zoom ratio

We'll look into what it would take to save the zoom ratio, many of you have asked for this.

Choosing what is the default view

You can adjust this by tagging your render as the material you would like it linked to, and we'll prioritize it over our render.

Keep the z-up; I have hundreds of models!
This is already fixed. The models you have already oriented will maintain the orientation you've saved, but all other models (old or new) will have z-up.

Keep the grey render
The grey render will also be staying for now. Especially for FUD, I think it can be helpful. It is also much faster, so when you upload we'll be using the grey for the time being :)

Can we have a 3D rotating render?
We are looking into how we can improve the rotating 3d viewer, and the new one we are looking at supports adding the material shaders on the 3d viewer. It isn't going to happen in the next few weeks, but stay tuned :)

We'll keep updating as we get more suggestions! Leave your feedback in this form and see our answers!

Thanks guys,
Natalia

[Updated on: Fri, 18 July 2014 20:27 UTC]

Re: New Material Renders Question [message #94311 is a reply to message #94149 ] Fri, 18 July 2014 21:34 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Thank You

I think it will be ok now, for me..........I hope....I hope.....I hope......
Re: New Material Renders Question [message #94321 is a reply to message #94311 ] Fri, 18 July 2014 22:37 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I think the pWSF and the FD materials need still some more detail visability.
https://images1.sw-cdn.net/model/picture/625x465_1822581_3612296_1405722629.jpg
https://images4.sw-cdn.net/model/picture/625x465_1822581_3612348_1405722698.jpg

[Updated on: Fri, 18 July 2014 22:39 UTC]

Re: New Material Renders Question [message #94334 is a reply to message #94321 ] Sat, 19 July 2014 08:03 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Default Photo

Currently the behaviour for selecting the default picture is not clear to me (shouldn't that always be the designers choice)?

At least all pictures (photos) with "no material" and "multiple material" should be available.

Also a designer can choose to select his photo as default (although it shows not the default material). I.e. he tests it in some less expensive semi precious material but wants the default material to be premium silver.
Thus showing a real printed example but offering the more expensive one as default choice.

Standard Grey Render

Is generated as before but shows some other angle. Shouldn't that be changed to have exactly the same view as in any other render

Blender Setup

Could you publish your blender Setup for the render scene. Then it would be possible for a designer to generate variations but stay in the look and feel of the generated renders.

Woody64

[Updated on: Sat, 19 July 2014 11:46 UTC]

Re: New Material Renders Question [message #94366 is a reply to message #94334 ] Sat, 19 July 2014 15:50 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
@woody64: make sure you add your comments to the response form here
Default photo - check the image below. When there is more than one photo or render available for a material, then you can select which one should be the default for that material.

Standard Gray Render - if this is not the same viewing angle as the other renders, please report that on the link above. All of mine are from the same viewing angle.

Blender setup - Already requested, please add your voice on the form above.

index.php?t=getfile&id=65484&private=0

• Attachment: Image1.jpg
    (Size: 79.82KB, Downloaded 447 time(s))

Patience, Persistance, Politeness - the 3Ps will help us get us to Perfect Printed Products
Re: New Material Renders Question [message #94376 is a reply to message #94366 ] Sat, 19 July 2014 18:16 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Ah thx that was a really official form link, didn't catch that (now it's in).

Ye, also cought that concerning default photo. But photos with different materials or no materials can't be choosen.

Also I thing we will often have the case that somebody orders a test pieces (i.e. steel or wax) but the default material maybe brass, silver or any other precious material.

Woody64

Re: New Material Renders Question [message #95400 is a reply to message #94376 ] Tue, 05 August 2014 20:31 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I work here
Hi all,

I want to share a few updates on renders with you, specifically about complaints around FCS & FUD and option out of renders.

New Shop Setting to not display renders

If you're truly unhappy with the render, you can opt to not display renders on all of the products in your shop. You can do this by going to the Shop Settings page and selecting the Hide Material Renders option. This option is available to you now in your shop.

Improvements to FCS Render
Based on feedback from community members, we've made the color saturation on Full Color Sandstone darker, to better show off colors. Of course it is hard to be representative when each model will vary slightly, but we hope this better shows off your full color creations. This new shader is available now, to get a new render you can re-save the render poser and it will re-generate the render.

Old FCS:
index.php?t=getfile&id=67239&private=0

New FCS:
index.php?t=getfile&id=67240&private=0

FUD Render Research
We're also looking into how we can make the Frosted Ultra Detail renders more detailed while also remaining true to what will show up when a customer buys a model in FUD. We're still exploring the issue, but I want to share a few pictures with you for your feedback. There have been no changes to the current render on our site, this is just for your curiosity and feedback. There are two changes we thought made a difference: changing the ambient light, which makes the details somewhat more pronounces, as well as putting the render on a blue background.

No Change to Render, on colored background:
index.php?t=getfile&id=67241&private=0

Improved Details on white background:
index.php?t=getfile&id=67242&private=0

Improved Details & Blue Background:
index.php?t=getfile&id=67243&private=0

Re: New Material Renders Question [message #95410 is a reply to message #95400 ] Wed, 06 August 2014 00:11 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Shapie Expert
I think FUD#3 is an improvement. Myself, I'd make the shadow a little less diffuse, and I'd add a keylight off to the side that has a contrasting color. Sunlight-yellowwould be good, but perhaps something approaching a red.

Re: New Material Renders Question [message #95423 is a reply to message #95400 ] Wed, 06 August 2014 06:53 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar fx  is currently offline fx
Go to my shop
I agree, FUD render #3 is an improvement. It's already much better than #2, and the original picture I posted above... No idea about how to further improve this render, because the material is hard to see in real life. Keep us posted !
Re: New Material Renders Question [message #95544 is a reply to message #94149 ] Thu, 07 August 2014 15:48 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to all my models
I work here
Hey guys,

Just a quick update, Material Renders are VISIBLE to the PUBLIC now!

So if you haven't posed your models, today would be a good day!
;-)

We'll follow up with more details on what we've improved based on your feedback in a little while! (Kate posted some EXCELLENT FUD improvements earlier)

But just wanted to tell you that it was LIVE!

Cheers
Natalia

[Updated on: Thu, 07 August 2014 15:50 UTC]

Re: New Material Renders Question [message #95577 is a reply to message #95544 ] Thu, 07 August 2014 20:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar KevK  is currently offline KevK
Go to my shop
I have a question about the new renders.
All of a sudden they came up in my shop and my photos are not visible anymore. Also at 2 of my designs I just have black frames. Can this be solved? When I change the photos back to how it was nothing happens.

Can anyone help?

Thanks, Kevin

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/KevK
Re: New Material Renders Question [message #95586 is a reply to message #95577 ] Thu, 07 August 2014 20:49 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar sedstiskyfaller  is currently offline sedstiskyfaller
Go to my shop
It seems like the photo/render that gets displayed is the one for the default material only.

Sedsti
Re: New Material Renders Question [message #95587 is a reply to message #95586 ] Thu, 07 August 2014 21:00 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
yes and I can not change it.

Re: New Material Renders Question [message #95600 is a reply to message #95587 ] Thu, 07 August 2014 21:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
I work here
KevK: thanks for the report, and I'm sorry for the confusion. We're working on regenerating the black renders right now, we had an issue where a small number of renders timed out, and you should see these update within the next few hours. Apologies for how long it takes, renders are a time intensive process.

As for the renders being displayed in your shop, I have tracked the bug and we will address soon. The expected result is that since you have the photo in Yellow strong & flexible and tagged it as such, the small product view on your shop should also display that image.

As for how you got renders, we're in the process of creating a render for each model for sale in every material that it is set for sale in. If you made changes to your model & saved them, we now looks for photos or renders. If you don't have either for a material, we have created a render.
Re: New Material Renders Question [message #95648 is a reply to message #95600 ] Fri, 08 August 2014 11:09 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Do you let me know when it is fixed?

Thanks

Re: New Material Renders Question [message #95665 is a reply to message #95648 ] Fri, 08 August 2014 14:17 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Which status do we have with rendered pictures. I'm a little bit confused.

- Have an item where I can see the renders
- Have an item where there where renders with different orientations
- I have a lot of private renders which don't show a material but I have to overload the default material to set it as default (or was that fixed)
- the link for getting the renders to see which was available in the beta phase is gone
- if I want to start a render with generate renders it fails with "no change". That's correct, but if there's no new render available?

???

[Updated on: Sat, 09 August 2014 18:01 UTC]

Re: New Material Renders Question [message #95746 is a reply to message #95665 ] Sat, 09 August 2014 17:06 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to my shop
Today SW has once more messed up my shops:
- the "old" digital renders are no longer selectable as default
- instead I'm seeing one of the photo attached to the item
- due to the failure (for me it's still a failure) that SW just centers the photo in the middle (assuming that when a shop owner takes a photo that the item is always in the middle) the photo looks once more cropped and so does my shop front end

Black

When I take a look at the generated renders the black detailed does more look like black strong flexible and vice versa

View

Why are you for the new renders not using the same view like in the old ones. Currently the items look rather small.
Personally I appreciate the view/size of the old ones more.

Here's a picture to illustrate what I mean (I also feel that in the larger view the material looks a little bit better)
index.php?t=getfile&id=67627&private=0

(currently I get different views/sizes of my items, no idea why that's the case. I have other items where the size difference as shown in the below given picture is not as big. Maybe this happened that instead of scrolling down (using the mouse wheel) the page I have resized the image in the 3d view )

• Attachment: viewex.jpg
    (Size: 110.29KB, Downloaded 154 time(s))

[Updated on: Sat, 09 August 2014 19:29 UTC]

Re: New Material Renders Question [message #95802 is a reply to message #95746 ] Sun, 10 August 2014 14:23 UTC Go to previous messageGo to next message
avatar sedstiskyfaller  is currently offline sedstiskyfaller
Go to my shop
woody64 wrote on Sat, 09 August 2014 17:06

Why are you for the new renders not using the same view like in the old ones. Currently the items look rather small.
Personally I appreciate the view/size of the old ones more.

I agree with this, and was wondering the same thing. It is only different for some models and not others.

Also, there is one model in my shop that displays the BSF render even though WSF is the default material.
Here is the link to the product: https://www.shapeways.com/model/2163640/wrist-comm.html?li=s hop-inventory&materialId=99
Re: New Material Renders Question [message #95829 is a reply to message #94149 ] Mon, 11 August 2014 01:59 UTC Go to previous messageGo to previous message
avatar MrNibbles  is currently offline MrNibbles
Go to my shop
I prefer to call the original render the "Shapeways Legacy Render" and it won't be grey if you uploaded the original file in some arbitrary color to make it look good in the preview. And that's what I often do. For example, I made it a point to upload ALL of my fishing lure files in a shade of yellow to denote some kind of metallicish goldish color that looked pretty good and showed details in the design. Quite frankly the new metal renders can end up looking pretty poopy sometimes without as much detail demarcation. However, now choosing the original Legacy Render as the default image appears to no longer be an option. Until the metal renders look better it sure would be nice to be able to choose the Legacy Render for display.

Also the scales of the new renders are sometimes vastly different from the Legacy Render - but not always! Sometimes they are just fine. There's is something different going on algorithmically in placing the images within the view window. Here's a screen shot showing the difference between the older goldish yellow renders and the new ones.

index.php?t=getfile&id=67869&private=0

I don't want to globally turn off the new renders because in some cases they are awesome, as for color sandstone. But for the metals it doesn't work well with all my parts. I suppose one possible fix is to change the orientation but allowing choice of the Legacy Render seems to make more sense in some situations, and it's a lot less hassle.

Pages (2): [1  2    »] 

Previous Topic:Shop sellings
Next Topic:Co-creator products are always staying "first to try"?

Logo

Hello.

We're sorry to inform you that we no longer support this browser and can't confirm that everything will work as expected. For the best Shapeways experience, please use one of the following browsers:

Click anywhere outside this window to continue.