Using Rhino for Mac

Discussion in 'My Work In Progress' started by 410636_deleted, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Hi,

I am new to 3D CAD and printing so forgive me if this is my lack of knowledge.

I am using Rhino for Mac (currently in development and free to download - not all functions working) and I have made a model which I tried to upload, however it didn't work - just wondered is anyone else using this program and uploading to shapeways successfully?

I not sure if I am saving it in the wrong format, my model has problems or simply the program doesn't support Mac uploads yet.

Thanks for any help!

Sinead

2. mkroeker
    mkroeker Well-Known Member
    Well, which format did you try, and what form of "did not work" did you encounter on upload ? Did you get any error message about the file being wrong,
    or did the upload just time out ? Also your file needs to be smaller than 64 megabytes (zip it if necessary) and should not contain more than one million
    triangles (misleadingly referred to as "polygons" on the upload page). For most of the supported file formats, you can use the free, cross-platform netfabb studio basic program from netfabb.com to preview, rescale, check and/or fix your model before uploading.

3. henryseg
    henryseg Well-Known Member
    I've also had trouble zipping the texture file together with the 3d data for a colour print. The standard Mac compression available in finder leaves some mac stuff in the zip file that confuses Shapeways' upload system. Instead I've had success with 3rd party zip applications.

4. Thanks for the replies - I had tried 3XD but managed to get it working when I switched to STL.

Was also interested to hear if many people were using this beta program and the parts still in development.